17. Let Me Go

The waves crashed along the shore as Cedric and I walked side by side on the beach

The waves crashed along the shore as Cedric and I walked side by side on the beach. It was sort of a tradition that we meet up every year before the first day back at Hogwarts so we could catch up. His parents always welcomed me into their home every year and now was no exception. Over the years, I had come to consider them my second parents. His mother was a tender soul and his father was a hoot. I loved them dearly.

When he casually slung his arm around my shoulder and pulled me towards him, I immediately blushed, my heart threatening to fly right out of my chest.

"What do ya say, Elliana? Ready for another fantastic, magical year at Hogwarts?" He asked, flashing me a glorious smile.

I nodded weakly, my stomach doing somersaults. "Yeah. How about you?"

His smile grew tenfold as he dropped his arm from my shoulder and jumped in front of me, walking backwards to maintain eye contact.

"Absolutely!" He beamed. "As a matter of fact, I have an awful good feeling about this year."

"You do?" I quirked a brow.

"Oh, yes." His gray eyes danced. "I have a feeling this will be a year none of us will forget."

I giggled at his contagious excitement. "I hope you're right, Ced."

"I most certainly am," he assured me before spinning on his heels and making a beeline towards the water, shouting joyfully, "Sixth year here we come!"

***

Awful good feeling indeed, I thought wryly. If someone had told me that there would ever come a time when Cedric felt more like a stranger than my best friend, I wouldn't have believed them. But now, as I sat next to Natalie across from Fred and George with the rest of the Gryffindors, the Hufflepuff table felt like it was miles away. An ocean could have separated me and Cedric, and it still wouldn't feel as vast as this.

He hadn't so much as spoken to me since I confessed my feelings for him. The third event loomed over all of us like a daunting shadow. It was only a few days away, and yet my 'best friend' wouldn't so much as look at me. Guilt coursed through me anytime I saw him. I should've just kept my big mouth shut..

That horrible gut-wrenching feeling only got worse with each passing hour. I felt like there was a ticking clock hovering over us, and no matter what I did, I couldn't shake the feeling. At that point, I was starting to feel desperate.

"I just wish he would talk to me," I whispered to my friends as I picked a part a piece of bread.

"He'll come around," Fred spoke up, flashing me a reassuring smile. George was quick to join in, "Most definitely. You probably just shocked the drawers right off him."

"No doubt," Fred agreed with his brother, popping a grape in his mouth.

Natalie met my gaze, her eyes filled with sympathy. "Maybe you should talk to him."

Maybe she's right. I was pulled from my thoughts when Trevor sat down beside me, offering me a cheeky grin that quickly transformed into a frown when he noticed my forlorn expression.

"What's wrong, Elle?" He asked me.

He wasn't yet aware that I had poured my heart out to Cedric.

"I, uh.. I told Cedric," I mumbled, staring down at the table.

"Told him what?"

I quirked a brow. "Take a guess."

His brows furrowed as he pursed his lips. I watched as realization hit him. "Oh."

I nodded once, my face heating up in embarrassment.

"Well, um.." He cleared his throat awkwardly. "How did it go?"

The twins narrowed their eyes at him in sync. "How do you think it bloody went, Lockhart?" Fred quipped, followed by George, "Blimey, man. Take a hint."

There was (of course) an awkward silence.

"Right," Trevor finally spoke, smiling softly at me. "I'm sorry, Elle."

"It's okay," I breathed out, willing myself to believe it.

***

I inhaled a shaky breath, trying to build up my nerves as I approached Cedric. He was sitting at a bench in the middle of the courtyard, staring off into the distance with a dull expression. When he noticed me out of the corner of his eye, his entire body stiffened.

"Cedric," I greeted him, forcing my best attempt at a smile given the circumstances. "Mind if I sit?"

He clenched his jaw before standing up and gesturing towards the bench. "Not at all."

My jaw dropped when he turned to walk away, but I wasn't letting him off the hook so easily. I jogged to catch up to him, staring up at him with a look of frustration.

"So... What? You're never going to talk to me again?" I asked, trying not to sound too bitter.

He cast me a side-eye glance but kept walking. I struggled to keep up with his long strides.

"What do you want me to say, Elliana?" He sounded... defeated.

My heart felt heavy in my chest at his deflated tone. I jumped in front of him, forcing him to pause mid-step. There we stood-in the middle of the walkway facing off with each other it would seem.

"Ced, we've been best friends for six years. Are you really going to throw that away?"

His eyes widened. "I didn't."

I was taken aback by his tone. He ran a hand through his hair, tugging at his roots with a solemn expression.

When he spoke again, there was no denying the sorrow in his voice. "Why did you have to go and complicate everything, Elliana? Everything was fine how it was."

I exhaled sharply; aghast. "I can't help how I feel. Did you just want me to keep it to myself for the rest of my life? You couldn't possibly expect me to do that. That's not fair."

He frowned. "You're right. It isn't fair. None of this is fair. Why did you have to tell me now? Before the last challenge? You know the stress I'm under. Couldn't it have waited?"

Despite my best efforts, tears filled my eyes. "No, it couldn't have waited. How do you think I would feel if something were to happen to you and I never got the chance to tell you exactly how much you mean to me? Put yourself in my shoes, Ced. Please."

His frown deepened. "Well, how do you feel now? Do you not realize the position you put me in?"

I shook my head, at a loss. "What position?"

He sighed, his shoulders slumping forward as though he was defeated.