10. Get A Clue

"Elliana!" The sound of Cedric's voice caused me to turn around

I was fixing to meet up with Natalie so we could start getting ready for the ball. Trevor finally asked me to be his date three days ago. He has tried to ask me on multiple occasions, but Cedric has a way of appearing out of nowhere and thwarting his plans. Trevor eventually gave up trying to make it 'special' and just asked me between classes. As far as I knew, my best friend was clueless that Trevor and I were going together.

I understood why Cedric wasn't a big fan of the guy, but he was going through an awful lot of trouble just to minorly inconvenience Trevor. It was a bit much, if you ask me.

Cedric greeted me with a glorious smile, falling in step with me.

"Hey, Ced. What's up?" I looked up at him curiously, taking note that he was carrying the golden egg.

"I may be able to figure out the clue about the next event," he told me, his grin broadening. "Professor Moody mentioned something about putting the egg in water."

I quirked a brow at that. "In water? Really?"

He nodded fervently. "Yes! Want to help?"

I blinked rapidly at his smiling face before pulling my lower lip between my teeth. Natalie was expecting me to start getting ready with her soon, but working out the clue for the next event trumps getting primped for a ball.

Just as I was about to respond, a thought occurred to me. What about Chang? My heart swelled with hope despite my best efforts. Was it wrong of me to hope that he was asking for my help simply because he preferred mine over hers? Because maybe he missed spending time with me?

Before I was able to collect my thoughts and form a coherent response, he took it upon himself to continue. "I asked Cho, but she's busy getting ready for the ball."

And just like that, my heart dropped. "Oh," was all I could say.

Still, his smile never faltered. "Yeah, but I figured you wouldn't be busy just yet. You're not into all that girly stuff. I mean, you're basically one of the guys."

My mouth fell open. I tried not to take offense; I knew he wasn't trying to hurt my feelings, but I couldn't help but cringe at his choice of words. One of the guys? Judging by his unwavering grin, he probably meant that as a compliment, but when you're calling the girl who's secretly been in love with you for six years 'one of the guys', it's anything but.

I pressed my lips into a thin line and struggled to keep the emotion out of my voice as I said, "I do actually have to get ready."

No wonder he's never so much as bat an eye at me.. I'm just 'one of the guys'. Okay, I'll admit I was being dramatic and overly sensitive. He furrowed his brows in confusion, pausing mid-step. I did the same, turning to look up at him.