𝟎𝟗: a foot in the grave

magnolia dove 𝔁 percy jackson
─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───
CHAPTER 9: A FOOT IN THE GRAVE

MAGNOLIA COULD only verbally shut down after hearing Annabeth's explanation, the sweat making her hair stick to her neck, how dehydrated she was. It was too much to take in that moment. 

"We aren't gonna be able to outrun them for very long," Grover stated. Magnolia wanted to help her best friend, she could only imagine the amount of worries in his mind as the protector of the group. The only way she thought of how to help was to keep quiet and not add any more problems when the list was already over a mile long. 

"We don't need to. We just need a safe place to hole up." Annabeth replied, deep in thought.

"Someplace safe," Percy added, glancing at Magnolia who was distracted by making sure her shoes didn't get dirty. "Any ideas where we might find one of those?" he asked Grover and Annabeth. 

"I do," Annabeth answered. "A sanctuary, dedicated to Athena, built by one of her demigod children a long time ago." she went on to explain.

"There is an Athenian temple hidden somewhere in the middle of downtown St.Louis?" Grover questioned. 

"Yes," Annabeth confirmed. "Except it's not all that hidden." she corrected, looking up at the massive arch staring back at them. 

When the group got closer, Annabeth decided to keep explaining. "It's 630 feet wide, 630 feet tall, both to within an inch. It's got no internal support. Each side is balanced perfectly against the other. The arch is held up by symmetry." she continued.

"It's held up by math." Magnolia breathed out, tired from all the walking. "I remember you telling me about it." 

"I didn't tell you that it's earthquake-proof, so Poseidon can't ruin it." Annabeth finished as the group walked in. 

"Nice," Percy commented while they shoved past the people. 

"This is how you show Athena your love. A monument dedicated to the power of perfection." Annabeth explained as they explored the temple. 

"It's a monument to some other stuff too." Grover acknowledged, not being able to peel his eyes away from the information listed on the walls and the artefacts on display.

"What's that thing?" Magnolia whispered to Percy, pointing out a long weapon on display next to some animal skull.

"It's called a gun. It's like this powerful weapon that shoots bullets, badly injuring people and sometimes killing them instantly," he whispered back. 

Magnolia nodded in reply, following Annabeth until she stopped walking and turned to face Percy and her.  

"You're talking about what some humans want this place to be about. I'm talking about what it actually is." Annabeth corrected.

"Whatever. We're safe here, right?" Grover confirmed, 

"We're safe," Annabeth confirmed. 

"Great. Well, since our train exploded, I'm going to see if there's another one we can get tickets for. We can't stay here forever. Just because we're prey, doesn't mean we need to be helpless." Grover finished sullenly, noticing another exhibit on humans hunting animals. 

"I'm gonna go with him, keep him company," Annabeth told Percy and Magnolia who nodded in agreement before she walked off. 

Magnolia's eyes lingered on Grover. She wasn't sure how he felt but knew it couldn't be a joyful emotion.