# chapter two

⎯⎯✰

⎯⎯✰

   Darkness fell on the town, the owls hooting a strange melody in the air. You parked your car in front of your residence and rapidly grabbed your things.

You were late for the appointment and you knew that your father would certainly be mad.

The new case you had on hand was a complete mess, a few murdered bodies dumped in the same place resulting in a long examination and the need to gather as much as evidence as possible. Generally, it would take one or two days or more. But it'd surely took longer as you had to rush home despite still having some work on hand.

You took a deep breathe before pushing the big oak door and entering your house. You were greated by your butler and housemaid. They indicated to you that your father was waiting for your in the dining room for quite some time now.

As you stepped into the dining room, you could feel the heavy gaze of your father, much to your surprise, he didn't looked discontented neither good so you were internally hoping that he'd had a good day and prayed.

"Father, I'm sorry for arriving too late, I know I promised bu—" You slightly gave him a headbow as an apology.

He cut you off. "Don't worry too much, work is not kind isn't it?" He said without much emotions. "Come on, sit down." He pointed to your chair at his opposite and your housemaid hurried to pull the chair for you.

You sat down as you take a glance at the covered dishes on the table, the maids removed the cloches from the multitudes of food on the table then took their leave. The butler brought a fine wine bottle and poured a glass, each for you and the middle-aged man at the end of the table.

Your father silently dug into the dishes and you mimicked as anxiety stir within the pit of your stomach. Your relationship with your father was quite complex; hidden guilt, anger, you couldn't define it even if you tried. Your mother loss had weakened the last string between you and your dad, a string that was already threatening to break to be honest.