40|| CRYPTIC CHRISTMAS

The air is tense in Grimmauld's place as Harry Potter, Sirius Black, and the youngest 4 Weasley children wait for any news on Arthur Weasley. After awakening from a terrible nightmare that turned out to be real and being whisked away to Grimmauld's place, Harry told them what very little he knew. He is riddled with confusion and fear regarding what he saw and why it happened. As always, Dumbledore has left him in the dark.

Upon hearing of their father's state, Fred and George itched to head over to St. Mungo's, but Sirius's firm words stopped them. This is bigger than just their father being injured. There is too much at stake.

Still, they tried and argued with the older man. They spat hurtful words towards him when he prevented them from leaving the old townhouse. Sirius understands they are scared, so he brushes off their words as best he can.

Conjuring butterbeer for everyone, Sirius motions for them to sit around the kitchen table. Fred and George glare at the man, wanting nothing more than to be by their father's side. It's silent thereafter as if they are too scared to speak something into existence. They mentally pray for their father to be alright.

George barely touches his butterbeer, anxiously looking at the door. Although he knows little of the incident, it puts some things in perspective. This little task was assigned by the Order of the Phoenix, the group designed to fight against You-Know-Who and his followers. If his father is on his death bed, it means that the situation is more dire than he gave it credit.

That's the thing about wars, right? It's all talk until someone gets killed. His father might be one of the first casualties in this recurring fight against evil, a terrifying thought. Arthur wouldn't be the first man in the family to succumb to dark forces, Molly's brothers fell at the hands of Death Eaters, too.

Glancing towards the clock every so often, George realizes it's ticking slower than ever, torturing him and his siblings without any news of their father's well-being. Every passing second is a new second of hope, and yet each time the needle moves on that same hope dies to be built back up again.

A lone feather and a piece of parchment appear with a lick of a flame by the end of the table. Sirius grabs it, recognizing the message sent by Fawkes. The twins sit up straighter, followed by Ginny's glassy eyes examining the parchment and a small squeak from Ron.

Sirius only reads the first line before he thrusts it over to the nearest Weasley, which is George. "It's from your mother."

Swallowing the heavy lump on his neck, George lifts it with shaky hands and reads, "Dad is still alive. I am setting out for St. Mungo's now. Stay where you are. I will send news as soon as I can. Mum."

The letter's intent is to calm the children, yet it's futile. The Weasley children won't be calm until they know Arthur is stable and not between life and death. George looks around the table and finds the somber expressions of his siblings. "Still alive . . ." he said slowly. "But that makes it sound . . ."

Fred takes the letter from his hands and reads it himself. He has to physically see the rushed scribbles of Molly's handwriting to believe anything that's said.

"You should all go to bed," Sirius suggests, "It will be hours until any more news come."

Sirius can't bear the tension in the room. He's happy to have company again and even happier that Harry is here with him, but the circumstances make it hard for him. If they are in the rooms, he'll be able to breathe better.

Sharing a look, they shake their heads. "We'll stay here," Ginny says, curling up on the uncomfortable chair.

"Very well," Sirius nods, leaning back on his seat and sharing his own look with Harry. The outsiders among the redheads.