09 || FOOL ME ONCE

Much to Lyra's demise, there are still whispers and snickers about the Snape incident weeks after it happened. She can't go anywhere in peace without someone pointing it out or mocking her. Under any other circumstances, Lyra would've snapped back, but the news of being suspended as prefect has been holding her back. If she has a chance of getting her title back, she's going to take it.

She wishes she could shrug off all the comments and go on with her life, but it's hard for her. The main reason for that is that Severus Snape is her godfather and thinking about him in that way makes her want to hurl. She's very put off by it.

It's been a difficult road getting to look at Snape in the eyes again. Whenever she does, Lyra feels shame and disgust about all the things she thought of doing during the hour she spent under the love potion. Lyra wants to forget about it all and shove it deep into her subconscious, but that's hard when the Hogwart's alumni keep reminding her.

She hates that she's been taken to hiding. Instead of having breakfast with her friends, Lyra's been eating breakfast ridiculously early in the morning when there's barely anyone. She eats as quickly as possible for lunch, running to the library afterward, where there's supposed to be silence. She's found a lovely table to study in deep in the library hidden by the many bookshelves.

Her friends have tried to get Lyra out of the library and urged her to stay with them longer during meals, but they haven't been able to convince her. They've concluded that this is something she must get over by herself.

When it comes to dinner, she skips it most of the time. That doesn't mean she goes hungry, though. For the most part, after her detention, she goes to the kitchens and eats there. The house-elves are more than happy to serve her a plate...or two. Showing her the kitchens is possibly one of the best things that Wesley has done for her.

Turns out Lyra's friends were right because today, Lyra Malfoy woke up with a brand new mindset. Although it still haunts her, she will not let the incident keep her from living her best life. The truth is she might never get her prefect role back with her family reputation, so she's going back to her usual self. Confident and intimidating Lyra.

For the first time in weeks, she walks into the Great Hall while most of the students are there. A lot of eyes turn to her, humor arising in their eyes. Still, she glares at them, extinguishing whatever thoughts were forming, causing them to look away. That's more like it.

"Well, well, look who decided to come out of her hiding spot," Patricia greets her, scooting to the side, leaving her room to sit.

Lyra willingly sits beside her, rolling her eyes at her remark. She has to admit it's nice to have breakfast with her friends. She's always loved this time of day where they can catch up and joke around before classes start.

"Shh, don't, or she'll hide again," Adrian snickers while buttering a slice of toast. 

"There is no use in hiding," Lyra sighs, grabbing a plate and serving eggs to her plate, "If people want to keep talking, let them, but this time around, I won't stay quiet."

"That's our girl," Adrian cheers, shooting her a wink.

The wink made her smile and blush. Lyra is used to Adrian being cheeky with her, but with their friendship changing, she can't help but look at it in a new way. Actions that she would've disregarded she now gushes over. Something Patricia notices as she lightly nudges her arm.

"Oi, this weekend is the last trip to Hogsmeade. Have any interesting plans?" Flint asks from beside Adrian.

Lyra doesn't notice it, but Flint shoots Adrian a look. Ever since the semester began, Adrian's friends have encouraged him to ask Lyra out on a date. But each time he has a chance, he blows it and backs out. He gets too nervous. What if he blows their friendship? He isn't all too sure about it all.