13 || A WINTERS BALL

It's Christmas eve, and Malfoy Manor is extravagantly decorated, from the gardens that stay green despite the winter to the magnificent ballroom that glimmers with any slight light shift.

Important guests are arriving and filling the large ballroom. They all stare in awe at the meticulous decorations scattered throughout the room. Dozens of pine trees line the room, with an even bigger one in the center. It is hollowed out so people can walk under it instead of around it. The pines are covered in ornaments and snow that fall from the high ceilings but never touch the floor. Every spot of the ballroom has its rightful decoration, whether it is snow, red, green, and gold ornaments or wreaths with elegant bows on them.

There are tables on the sides of the room filled with foods that would make even the best chef in the world salivate. Floating silver trays make their way through the room, offering guests wine, fire whiskey, or any other drink they desire. The trays keep replenishing no matter how much food or beverages people take.

There is a live band in the corner of the room, yet its music can be heard clearly all around the room. A witch stands in the center, singing all the classical wizarding songs. She is one of the most, if not the most famous, singers in the British wizarding world, and she has the honor to be singing in the Malfoy Christmas Ball.

Lyra Malfoy is outside the ballroom with her family while they wait to be presented. They might be the guests, but they need to have an entrance. Her mother looks after Draco, straightening his bowtie and ensuring there is no crease on his clothes.

At precisely 8 O'clock, when most people have arrived, the ballroom's double doors open, allowing Lyra and Draco to enter first. All eyes and cameras are on them, yet brother and sister only stare ahead as whispers erupt around them. The voices speak of what they wear, how expensive they look, and how untouchable they seem.

Lyra is wearing a custom golden dress that fits with the night's theme, as per her mother's request. It reaches the floor as it flows around her and sparkles with what can only be magic, yet it doesn't take the attention away from the girl itself. The small flowers sewn down the bodice and skirt of the dress prettily bloom as she walks. It is quite a spectacle to behold.

She holds onto Draco's arm as they stand in the center of the room by the tallest tree as her father and mother reach them soon after. One of the many silver trays floats to them with four flutes of champagne for the toast her father will make.

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen," her father speaks, and silence fills the room, "I am happy to see most of you were able to attend this special evening."

Lyra drones out her father's speech; she's heard it many times before on different occasions. The toast always follows the same steps; thank the people who are there, boast about your party, tell everyone to have fun, blah, blah, blah.

Her eyes are searching through the crowd for her friends. She knew they would all be there, considering their parents are well acquainted. She first spots Daphne Greengrass along with her family, her sister tightly clutching her hand. Then, she sees Flint towards the back of the room. He briefly catches her eye and discretely raises his flute of champaign in her direction. She smiles at him but proceeds to look for the two most important people.

Patricia is to her left, alongside her older brother and her parents. They attentively listen to whatever her father is spewing out and nodding along. Finally, she finds Adrian, who is already looking at her. Hoping no one sees, he mouths, 'You look beautiful.' A blush instantly rises to her cheeks, and she smiles wide.

Suddenly the people around them start clapping as Lucius tells them to enjoy the rest of the night and not forget to take a stroll through the gardens. They are quite a treat this time of year.