8. Rescue operation

Suddenly, the door bursts open. A shield flies into the room, knocking out one of the guards and disarming another. My heart begins to race as Sarah and I rush to protect the children with our bodies. A brief battle takes place behind our backs, letting us hear every blow and shout.

While Bucky fights hand-to-hand with two new henchmen, Sam unties our wrists. "Follow me. We're going to get out of here and then it'll be over."

We run into the corridors after him. He leads the way, throwing his shield and hits those who try to block us. Shots echo all around us, but I can't locate them.

We make our way to the exit, but someone holds me back before I can get out. A hand grips my neck and the only thing my wide eyes meet is an evil look. My lungs begin to run out of air as the coldness of a gun barrel hits my temple. A gunshot deafens me, though no bullet seems to have struck me.

The brute releases me and collapses. My knees hit the ground and I rub my throat, catching my breath.

"Come with me." Bucky says as he lifted me to my feet.

The firm pressure of his fingers on my forearm reassures me. Outside, we find the Wilson, who were beginning to worry. More shots are heard behind us, telling us it's not a good idea to stay here.

We all pile into a car, Bucky and I in the front, Sam and his family in the back. The super soldier speeds off, taking us away from this sordid place. He only slows down when he's sure no one's following.

In the rearview mirror, I see Sam hugging his sister and nephews. I relax a little, loosening my grip on the door handle. I'm so relieved that nothing has happened to them. As he speaks to reassure them, and probably himself, I turn my attention back to the road.

The cars around us all have European number plates. I nervously play with my fingers, trying to get my heart rate down. The gloved hand that rests on mine succeeds much more effectively. I look up at Bucky and mime a "thank you" between my lips. His serious gaze alternates between me and the road, without him uttering a word.

Still silent, he focuses on his driving but keeps his hand on mine, only removing it to change gears.

We finally arrive at what looks like an airport runway, where a military aircraft is waiting for us. After the plane takeoff, Bucky removes his remaining glove to place his fingers on my cheek.

"You're hurt." He notices.

I'm momentarily distracted by his touch before I react. "It's nothing."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. It's only thanks to you that they spared me."

"I was so afraid he was going to hurt all of you. I don't know what I would've done if..."

"We're okay, Bucky. A little shaken up, but we're all here. All safe."

He nods, looking unconvinced. I put one hand on the back of his head and wrap an arm around his shoulders. As I hold him close, his hands on my back pull me a little closer. This embrace gives me all the comfort I needed.

Right now, nothing matters. I just don't want to let go of him.

The journey goes smoothly. The boys eventually fall asleep, while Sam and Bucky explain that their mission was to approach the smuggler who kidnapped us. Their goal was to obtain information about a dangerous weapon to which he might be connected. By the time they'd arrested everyone involved, they planned to shelter us in the freshly rebuilt Avengers compound.

"You have every right to be shocked." Sam says. "We'll take care of you. I'm going to contact a psychologist I've worked with who is specialized in post-traumatic stress. She's great and she'll listen to you."

"But after that... will we be safe?" Sarah asks. "This is the second time your opponents have tracked us down and implicated my children."

"When those who know about your links with us will be behind bars, we'll take precautionary measures to make sure it doesn't happen again."

"But we'll be able to live normally?"

"I promise we'll do everything we can to make sure you will."

The aircraft starts to land, and a jolt makes me lose my balance.

"Stay with me." Bucky says with a smirk as he catches me up and sits me next to him.

I squeeze his fingers between mine. After all these emotions, feeling him close makes me feel better. He puts gentle pressure on my knuckles, sending a shiver along my arm.