3. From theory to practice

I finish doing my hair in the Wilson bathroom with Sarah when someone knocks on the front door. With no answer from Sam and struggling with her eyeliner, she asks me to precede her and welcome the babysitter. When I open the door, it's not the 15-year-old neighbor girl who's standing on the landing, but a veteran who's over 106.

"What's that face? Are you surprised to see me here?" I jest.

"No, but I realize I should have paid more attention to my outfit. You two are going to outshine us tonight."

I turn to Sarah behind me and we both chuckle. "See, you know how to compliment women!" She says before Sam appears, giving his teammate a glare.

"That you encourage him to flirt, okay. But not with my sister!" He threatens me with a finger, while the sister in question is just laughing as hard as I am.

Once we've left the children with the babysitter and got into the car, Sarah and I can't hide our excitement. It must be ages since we last went dancing. With the Blip, her financial troubles and recent events, the mood wasn't exactly festive.

Only one person doesn't seem to share our enthusiasm, and that's Bucky. No matter how hard I try, I can't get him off his seat at the bar. "Come on, dance with us. Even Sam has joined us!" I beg him.

"No, thanks. I'll pass this time."

"Didn't you dance in your time?"

"Yes, but it wasn't the same."

"Because you were young and good-looking?"

"Excuse me, is she bothering you?" A woman out of nowhere interrupts us.

Surprised at first by such nerve, I suddenly realize what's happening right in front of me. This woman just approached the grumpy old man!

I quickly react before he ruins everything. "Sorry, I'll leave you two alone."

Bucky looks at me confusedly. I reply with a wink before leaving him in pleasant company. At least I hope so.

"Mission accomplished, you guys!" I brag when I go back to the Wilson siblings.

They glance towards our friend, who's already talking to the woman, before exulting with me.

"Gee whiz, I don't know what method you used, but it seems effective! Don't you want to try it on Sam too?" Sarah laughs, ignoring her eldest's protests.

"I'm happy for him, I just hope I don't push him too hard. I'm afraid he's forcing himself to please us."

"He doesn't seem to be pushing himself too hard now." Sam points out.

Indeed, their conversation seems to be fascinating. Judging by the way she's staring at him, the young lady is under his spell. She's even moved closer to him, venturing some physical contact which he apparently doesn't reject.

When we leave the club, he even gets her number.

"So, what did you think?" I inquire, gossiping.

"She was nice."

We quickly realize that we won't get any more details, so we'll have to be satisfied with this statement.

"Does this mean you're not mad at me for leaving you with her?"

"I haven't decided yet."

"Anyway, I'm proud of you."

"For what?" He asks with a raised eyebrow.

"Look, you're smiling, and you seem to have enjoyed your evening. That's good enough for me."

"What's the next step?" Sam asks.

"Well, when you're feeling up to it, we'll come back here, and it'll be your turn to talk to someone."

"That's too easy! We've got to strike while the iron's hot and get back at it tomorrow."

"I'm not going to force him, and certainly not to strike him!"

"You hear that, Bucky, she doesn't think you can do it." He teases with a mischievous smile.

"Nonsense!" I protest.

"I don't think you've got the guts."

I know exactly what he's doing. He's trying to push Bucky's buttons by provoking his ego. It's a game they're both very good at, and it seems to work once again.