( CHAPTER SIX )

CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX . COURT INTERVAL

▅▅▅

 NEUVILLETTE WAS BEYOND TIRED.

     If Lady Furina could hear his thoughts, Neuvillette was certain she'd be gauging her eyes out in disbelief. Because for the first time in his life, the Iudex wanted nothing more but to step out of the courtroom.

     But could anyone blame him?

     Thrice a week, the Maison Ordalie holds a meeting in Court with every Prime Minister of Fontaine to ensure that each department is not simply slacking in their tasks. And while Neuvillette has found some semblance of purpose in the Judiciary, he did not enjoy nonsensical bickering.

     Unfortunately, it seems that bickering was all that Fontaine's Parliament was capable of doing.

     "The point here, Prime Minister, is that your office overspent 100,000 Mora on a piece of mechanism that hasn't been approved yet nor reviewed by the rest of us!" Prime Minister Pierre Robert hissed.

     The receiving end of Pierre's accusation, Prime Minister Alexandre, merely crossed his arms, "Isn't the point of having the Cardinalice so they can oversee our finances? If you think I overspent but the Cardinalice thinks otherwise, your opinion is as good as gone, Prime Minister."

     Right, they were bickering over the arrival of 45 new typewriters sent to the office.

     Prime Minister Alexandre, young and bright as he was, thought that a bit of modernization was required inside the office. But since Prime Minister Pierre was old-fashioned, he believed that the purchase was inconsequential and–

     "It is excessive!" Pierre raged, slamming his hands against his bench. 

     The 12 other Prime Ministers presiding this meeting merely looked away in both shame and disappointment knowing that the better part of their hours would be spent on trying to placate Pierre's volatile head.

     Neuvilette sighed from his seat in the tribunal, "There is no need to shout, Prime Minister Pierre. Might I remind you that you are in the Court, and not a tavern?"

     "Of course, Monsieur." Pierre nodded though his glare still wanted Alexandre dead.

     "Now, shall we move to the next appeal? If you'd like to further the argument on Prime Minister Alexandre's overspending you may very well take the case up against the Maison Cardinalice themselves, Prime Minister Pierre."

     All thirteen Prime Ministers agreed, and Neuvillette hammers the gavel against the sound block.

     Finally, that was done.