( CHAPTER FIVE )

CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE . FOLLOW THE BREADCRUMBS

▅▅▅

⸻ THERE WAS SOMETHING SO WRONG ABOUT how unalarmed you were despite being aware that someone was, presumably, following you since your exit from Palais Mermonia.

     In truth, you were not unafraid. Rather than that you were actually on high alert mentally, nitpicking every detail of your surroundings to assess the situation. After all, you've had your fair share of lurking individuals trailing your home path only to throw threats at your life for the work and people you represent. Being endangered wasn't a new experience for you.

     Yet it didn't make it any less disturbing.

     "I know you're following me," you announced with a sigh. Why is it that you were always being followed by trouble? The figure following you halts their steps upon hearing your proclamation, their shadow looming over the corner of the alleyway you drove them to.

     You move your feet with purpose until the chain of your Vision clinks against your belt, a reminder that you were armed. And with the rain showing no sign of coming to a stop, whoever your prowler is was clearly at a disadvantage. So, your stalker decides to show their face.

     It was Lily.

     "Please don't hurt me! I-I have no bad intentions, I promise!" the Melusine raises both of her hands in clear surrender.

     "Oh, Lily." you drop your hold on your Vision and usher for the Melusine to walk closer to you so she too can be shielded from the rain with your umbrella, "Come here."

     Lily's steps were hesitant, eyes flitting in that of uncertainty. After today's confrontation, you were sure that all words left unsaid were gone in her book. But one look at how she fiddled nervously with her uniform's skirt gave you the impression that Lily had much more to say... or ask.

     "Is there something else you'd like, little one?" you crouched in an attempt to try and meet her eyes gazing at you widely.

     How were Melusines so, so adorable?

     "Huh? I-I didn't say I wanted something..." Lily quietly mumbled. Almost too quietly that if not for your efforts to duck in front of her you wouldn't have heard anything at all.

     She was probably embarrassed for being caught so easily.

     You raised your brow at the Melusine and attempted to reach her shoulder, "Really now? Then pray tell why do you look at me as if you've got a thousand questions in that adorable mind of yours."

     "O-Oh!" Lily dropped her gaze and stepped away.

    "I didn't mean to tease you, I'm sorry." you hastily apologize, regret from being so familiar with the Melusine flooding your common sense.