( CHAPTER ONE )

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE . BLUE SUITS & STRANGE LAWS

▅▅▅

⸻ NOT ALL LAWYERS WERE OVERBEARING.

     There has always been a preconceived notion of lawyers since the dawn of mankind. Most people would assume that their self-conceit is as high as the stack of codals they've read. From the way they talked to the manner they carried themselves, attorneys have invariably had a reputation for being arrogant.

     You weren't one of them (you believed).

     In fact, if you struck up a conversation with the crew member nearest to you who had been looking at you weirdly for over an hour, they'd probably assume you were a mindless, harmless traveler.

     After finishing your law degree in Sumeru and passing the Bar exam, you returned to Liyue to practice your degree. You briefly became a formidable asset under the Tianquian of the Liyue Qixing herself before setting up your own office. While overseeing most of Liyue's juristic branch taught you a lot, you wanted to establish your career further.

     And where better to do so other than the nation of Justice itself? 

     Oh, and your friend Kathy, an inventor, wanted to be a billionaire too.

     "Are we almost there yet?" Kathy, the brunette genius that she was, held onto her stomach as she struggled to stay upward from motion sickness.

     "Five more minutes, mademoiselle." the captain of the small ship replied, laughing boisterously at the sight of Kathy's predicament while the woman groaned in response.

     A chorus of laughter soon followed the captain's own exultation at your friend. Usually, those who are rather sensitive and susceptible to being seasick would much prefer to buy tickets for larger vessels since the room and ship itself offered more... comfort.

     But ever the stubborn,  Kathy waved off your concerns and said she would be fine. And she did look fine, if you count wanting to barf your entire breakfast and lunch fine that is.

     "You've said five minutes since 30 minutes ago," you sighed. You looked at the crew member then who had been staring at you with a raised brow, "And for the last time, why are you staring like that?"

     Said crew member flinched, "Err... Sorry. But uhm, you should probably change your coat."

     You tilted your head to the side, "My coat?"

     "I told you that shade of blue is horrible." Kathy commented before running towards the bathroom for the ninth time.

     Now, now. It wasn't as if you didn't have a good sense of fashion. While you were aware of the ever-changing trends of clothing, you weren't particularly too invested in it. After all, you were practicing law, not fashion merchandising. That didn't mean comments about your appearance would be brushed aside though.