( CHAPTER FOUR )

CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR . THE ART OF APOLOGIZING: A GUIDE BY NEUVILLETTE

▅▅▅

⸻ IT WAS SIMPLE, AND IT WAS BRILLIANT. Lily had a plan. Over the very few hours of being informed of this meeting and the random surges of energy she had to actually get up from bed, the Melusine came up with a five-step apology (courtesy of Monsieur Neuvillette himself who helped her come up with it).

Step 1: Realize your mistake.

     This step, Lily hoped, she's done. She had wrongly accused someone of breaking the law. Although this someone in question did, in fact, violate a certain rule, [Name] was not made aware of their nation's many trivial laws. 

     Additionally, there was a one-week period given to new travelers to familiarize themself with Fontaine's charter. Had Lily read the manual thoroughly, she would have known that.

     The Melusine shook her head. This was no time to berate herself continuously!

Step 2: Prepare an apology

     Hidden inside the pockets of her uniform was an apology she personally wrote. Neuvillette, of course, gave his thoughts on the short speech with corrections here and there. The Iudex did not give clear instructions on how Lily should say it, because he told her that according to Lady Furina, every apology is a unique representation of a person's character... whatever that meant.

     Lily's line of thought broke immediately when she felt Neuvillette's warm hand against her head. The Melusine assumed that what the Chief Justice was attempting to do was comfort her, but the way he kept petting her rhythmically made it look like he was gently playing with bongos instead.

     The Iudex of Fontaine playing drums. What a sight that would be.

      "You needn't worry, Lily. I shall stay within the room at all times." Neuvillette gave her a comforting smile.

     "T-Thank you very much, Monsieur. Your support means a lot to me." Lily stifled a laugh. He's trying to be nice don't laugh, don't laugh, don't laugh!

      Lily realized that she must've offended Neuvillette with how rain was suddenly pouring outside, and the man himself was frowning in deep thought.

     "If you feel like you cannot handle this yet, inform me so at once. We can always reschedule."

     "No! No, I-I... it's fine, Monsieur. I wi-will be fine, I promise. I will tell you if I can't do it." she placed her hand against her chest to calm her heart.

     Sometimes, the eccentricities of the Monsieur made him humorous without even trying.

Step 3: Set-up a meeting to hear out both sides