12

Xueer waited outside as Jiaqi retrieved her clothes and toiletries from her room.

“Xueer, you don’t have to wait for me, you know.” Jiaqi said as she slid into her slippers.

“What happens if you scratch again? Also… I heard that along this hallway and inside the girls’ bathroom, people have said that they saw this white-” Xueer lowered her voice as her eyes darted around their surroundings.

“Xueer! I don’t need to know.” Jiaqi hissed at Xueer.

“Looks like I will walk you to the bathroom too.” Xueer smiled innocently as she held onto Jiaqi’s elbow.

“Xueer… you are mean.” Jiaqi pouted.

Xueer shrugged her shoulders, “Maybe.”

The bathroom was empty and Jiaqi was about to head into the last stall before she changed her mind and decided on the second stall.

Who knows what happened in the last stall?

Xueer heard the water run and she started mindlessly scrolling Douyin on her phone.

After a few minutes, Xueer heard Jiaqi’s voice over the sound of the water hitting the floor calling, “Xueer? Are you there?”

“What’s wrong?” Xueer replied back.

Xueer was met with silence.

“Jiaqi…?” Xueer was about to get up and check up on the fox but Jiaqi’s voice hesitantly followed, “C-can you talk to me?... It’s scary..”

Aww. 

Xueer could not help but smile to herself at Jiaqi’s cuteness.

“Jiaqi, as you know, I'm very kind and caring.” Xueer started by saying.

“For my friend, Yu Shuxin, I make sure that she drinks enough water because she is a fish.”

What??

Jiaqi stopped shampooing her hair and she opened her eyes, registering Xueer's words.

“She is not a literal fish. But you know, her surname is Yu.” Xueer paused before she continued.

“For my friend, Yuyan, hmmm…I eat corn with her. I told her that she should try something new, so we are about to have carrot dates together.”

While rinsing the shampoo out of her hair, Jiaqi felt a slightly bitter feeling in her mouth.

Carrot Dates… dates??

“For my friend, Keyin, we hang out.”

Hang out…?

Xueer ended off by saying, “For you, Jiaqi, I hope that we are all the colours of the rainbow.”

Rainbow??

At the end of Xueer's monologue, Jiaqi walked out of the bathroom stall, no longer feeling scared but very confused.

With furrowed eyebrows and droplets of water at the ends of her hair, Jiaqi used a towel to dry her hair as she stared at Xueer.

Xueer smiled in return and she returned to scrolling Douyin while Jiaqi brushed her teeth and washed her face.

“Let's go. I'm done.” Jiaqi walked to Xueer who looked up at her.

“Jiaqi, sit down.”

Obediently, Jiaqi did so with no questions asked.

As Xueer used the towel to dry Jiaqi's hair and arms, because Jiaqi did not do a thorough job of ensuring that she dried off completely, Xueer dried off the fox, lessening the chances of a cold happening.

“Okay, now, let's go put on ointment.” Xueer walked with Jiaqi back to their rooms.

In Xueer's mind, she secretly wondered how did Jiaqi survive till now and that without her, Xu Jiaqi probably would become extinct sooner or later.

Similar to pandas, cute but a bit hopeless.