Chapter 3 || Section 4

Dealings

[Ryuk] "you both got a second?"

The sun has already set and we were walking back to Light house after cram school.

[Light] "We've already told you, Ryuk. You can't talk to any of us in public."
"How many times do we have to keep repeating it Ryuk."
I also included, why do men never know how to listen. I sighed and shook my head

[Ryuk] "In that case, I'll talk, you just listen. If you don't want to hear me, you can plug your ears or something. First of all, I don't have anything against you. I actually think the notebook couldn't have been picked up by a better person. I'm here 'cause I have to stick around till the Death Note is finished, or I see you die, whatever comes first. But make no mistake, I'm not on your side or L's side."

Light looked over his shoulder to looked back at Ryuk. And then turned back to face the front one again.
[Light] "Yeah. Well, I knew that much already."
[Ryuk] "You'll never hear me say anything about whether what you're doing is right or wrong. I'm not here to support you or give you my opinion. I'm just a spectator, but as your roommate, I might have a few things to say now and then."

Light looked at him from the corner of his eye while I just kept my eye at the road in front of us.
[Light] "what's this about, Ryuk? Why are you telling me all this stuff now, anyway? It's really not like you."

[Ryuk] "it's just that I'm no ally if yours, or Kira's, if you prefer. The only reason I'm going to tell you this is because, personally, it is starting to creep me out."
[Light] "Get to the point already."
Ryuk chuckled before he spoke, leaning down slightly.
[Ryuk] "you are being followed by another human. He's watching you right now."

My eyes widened slightly, but I continued walking not wanting to stop in my tracks. But Light stopped, I cursed under my breath before I turned to look at Light.

A confused expression on my face as I slightly tilted my head.
"Light?"
I said softly, his wide eyes softening as he looked back up at me. And then he turned to look behind him. I walked back towards him.
"What is it?"
I said as I looked at the distance in front if us.

[Light] "I thought I heard... never mind let's just keep going"
He said as he turned to look back at me. I looked down at the alley way before I turned to look back at him. Tilting my head slightly, he shook his head before taking a hold of my wrist and started to drag me behind him. My brows furrowing confused.
"Y'know you can talk to me Light"
I said softly as I looked up at him. He looked down at me, his eyes dull but a smile on his lips as he nodded. And we just continued walking, his hand still holding onto my wrist. This was all an act of course but y'know.

[Ryuk] "It's really starting to get on my nerves. I realize there's no way he can see me, but because I'm always following behind you wherever you go, I feel like I'm constantly being watched."
[Light] "That's a problem. I'll have to get rid of him as soon as possible."
He said soft and low.

——————————————————————

As we finally made it to Light's house I felt less stressed, knowing that we were being followed is such an uneasy feeling. I let my bag slide down my shoulder like always, and then sat down on the edge of Light's bed.

Light turns on the lamp on his desk before he goes to his window, peeking out of the curtain. Ryuk sitting himself next to me on the bed.

[Ryuk] "Light."
Ryuk said out of nowhere causing me to jump slightly, and Light just let out a casual 'Hm' as if he already knew Ryuk was gonna starts talking out of nowhere.

[Ryuk] "I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. What makes a Shinigami and a human who has a Death Note different? Well, there are two things."
He lifted up two fingers.
[Ryuk] "And why do Shinigami have to write the names of humans in their Death Notes? You got any ideas?"

[Light] "of course not. Why would I know that? You know, you sure are talkative today."
Light spoke as he made his way to his desk and sat himself down.

[Ryuk] "It's because we are able to take human lifespans for ourselves."
My brows furrowed, leaning slightly forward intrigued by Ryuk. Light doing the same thing.

[Light] "Huh? Wait, what do you mean by that?"
[Ryuk] "Let's say you have a human who is due to live until the age of 60 and a God of Death wrote that this person would die at 40. Sixty minus 40 equals 20. Now those 20 years taken from someone in the human world are added to that God of Death's life. So, it means that as long as we don't slack off, even if someone was to shoot us in the head, or stab us in the heart with a knife, a God of Death cannot die. On the other hand, no matter how many names you write in your Death Note, your lifespan will not increase. That is the first difference between gods of death and human who possess a Death Note."

Light chuckled as he looked down before he spoke.
[Light] "That's something about Shinigami that I haven't heard before. Pretty interesting stuff."

[Ryuk] "the second difference between us will probably be of even greater interest to you. Though this has less to do with lengthening life and more to do with cutting it short."
[Light] "What do you mean cutting it short?"
Ryuk leaned forward, his face close to Light's.

[Ryuk] "Shinigami can tell what the person's name is by just looking at their face. We know instantly. And do you have any idea why? Because through a Shinigami's eyes, a human's name can be seen above their head. Not only that, we can see their lifespan as well."
[Light] "Their name and lifespan?"

[Ryuk] "That's right. I'm able to see your name and lifespan right now. If I converted that to human time,  I could tell you how many years you've got left. But there's no way I'd ever tell you that. I may have a big mouth, but even I wouldn't go that far. Shinigami never have to work that they won't be able to kill a person just because they don't know their name, and every time we do take a life, we always know exactly how many years we are going to receive. Our eyes just aren't the same, and that is the difference between you and I. However... if a Shinigami drops his Death Note and a human picks it up, he can grant that human the eyes of a Shinigami, but only if a deal is made, one that has been with us since ancient times."

[Light] "And what's the deal?"
[Ryuk] "The price for having the Shinigami's eyes... is half of that person's remaining lifespan. That's all it is."
[Light] "Half of my remaining lifespan?"
[Ryuk] "Yeah. In other words, if you are supposed to live another 50 years, it'll be 25. If it was one more year, then six months."

[Light] "I see. And since you've made it clear you're not on anyone's side, and won't help me out, you wouldn't just give me the names of people I want to kill. Basically you're saying that I can't simply borrow your powers. I'd have to pay for them."

[Ryuk] "that's right. It's a key part of the code that all Shinigami are bound by. I'll say this one more. Give me half of your remaining lifespan, and I'll give you the Shinigami Eyes."

[Light] "If I agree... I'll be able to know everyone's name just by looking at them. If I had that power, the Death Note would only be easier to use."
[Ryuk] "So, what'll it be, Light? Is it a deal?"

"[Ryuk] "So, what'll it be, Light? Is it a deal?"