Part 12

Harpers eyes flutter open when she feels a soft touch on her cheek. She's surprised to see Charlie Swan's face in front of hers with his fingers tracing her cheek bone. Charlies' eyes widen a little when he sees that she has waken up, but he doesn't move his hand away. He clears his throat softly, before tucking hair that has fallen in front of her face behind her ear, then takes his hand away and places it to the side of him. "Your awake." Charlie clears his throat again and looks away. "I was just about to wake you. I brought your favorite soup." 

Harper weakly smiles at him and props her upper body using her arms. "Cauliflower soup with parmesan cheese and no celery?" Harper smiles grows as Charlie nods his head. 

Charlie sheepishly smiles and scratches the back of his neck. "There's extra carrots to make up for the celery." 

"You're the best. Tell Madi thank you." Harper says knowing full well who actually cooked the meal. 

Charlie smiles grows as he tries, and fails, to glare at her. "Hey, I helped."

Harper stands up and raises her hands up in surrender. "Okay, then to Madison and whoever else that 'helped' thank you." Harper teases Charlie as she uses her fingers to put air quote when she said helped. "Where's dad?" Harper askes when she realizes that he's not home. Harper looks at the window and frowns seeing how its dark out. "And Jacob, he should be home by now. Wait, why are you here? I don't mean that to be rude I'm just curious." Harper mentally scolds herself for how rude she sounded. Normally she wouldn't care so much, but she doesn't want Charlie to feel unwelcomed.

Charlie chuckles softly. "It's fine. I'm here because Billy was dropping Jacob off at one of his friend's house so you don't get him sick, and Billy didn't wait either of us alone, so he asked me to come over a little sooner." Charlie puts his hand on Harpers lower back as he leads her to the kitchen. 

"'Come over sooner'? Why shouldn't you be by yourself? Are Madison and Bella still with the Cullens?" Harper head is going crazy, she has all of these questions and yet all she can focus on is Charlie's hand on her, she can almost imagine it going lower and grabbing her-

"Bella and Madison left." Charlie frowns cutting Harper off from her thoughts. 

"What?" Harper stops walking and looks at Charlie. "What do you mean 'left'? Like left Forks? Madison would never do that."

Charlie sighs and sits down at the kitchen table with Harper following him and seating to his right. As soon as Harper sits Charlie tells her everything. How he was planning on bring Harper soup that Madison and him made before Bella and Madison went to play baseball with the Cullen's, how Bella came back upset and broke up with Edward, Bella's words to him. Neither of them realized how when Charlie was talking Harper reached and gently grabbed his hand to comfort him, or if they did notice neither of them said something. Charlie then told her about the Bella leaving and Madison following her but not before she promised him that she would come back and that she would keep Bella safe. 

Harper kept quiet the entire time Charlie was talking, and when he was done, she still didn't know what to say so Harper did the only thing she could think of. She hugged him. Charlie didn't hesitate to hug her back. But just like when Harper hugged him after finding out about Waylon's death, a simple hug wasn't enough. Charlie pulled Harper into his lap, her legs on the outside of his, his head buried in her hair along her neck, and wrapped his arms around her waist tight enough to bring him comfort but loose enough for her to get out if she wanted. But she didn't want to leave, if she could, she would stay in his arms forever.