Chapter 25

"This reminds me of the red carpet," Brett said as their limousine pulled up in front of the school's convention center. Dozens of photographers, with cameras in hand, waited to descend upon them.

"I thought this was just a benefit for the school." Harper sighed. She noticed several of the photographers who had been, just weeks ago, camping outside the lot gate.

"They must have heard that Harper Wills was going to be here." Brett stuck his phone in his pocket as their driver opened the door. "Get ready."

Brett stepped out first then extended his hand. Harper exited the car in her long, shimmery, gold dress, amid the screaming of her name by many frantic photographers trying to get a picture that would land them a hefty paycheck.

"Smile, sweetheart, this is what you live for," Brett whispered in her ear.

And for the first time she realized it wasn't. She forced a wry smile as she briefly waved to the cameras.

Brett took her by the arm and led her towards the door where a tall, older gentleman greeted them.

"Sorry about that," he said, motioning to the crowd. "Campus security is on the way here now to take care of them. I'm Dean Carter." He extended his hand to Harper.

"Harper Wills."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Ma'am," he said, then turned to Brett. "How are you, Brett?"

"Can't complain. Now where do you want us tonight?"

"Follow me and I'll take you to your table." Dean Carter led them through the large lobby and then into a beautifully decorated room with many round tables and chairs. The tables were draped with a white cloth and each had floral centerpieces surrounded by tea light candles. A full piece orchestra played near the stage and the room buzzed with people in tuxedos and ball gowns. Many stopped and introduced themselves to Brett and Harper as they made their way to a table down front by the stage.

"Here you go." The dean motioned to the table. "Any seat you want."

Brett and the dean talked business while Harper scanned the room for Ben.

"Harper," Brett said, trying to get her attention.

"Yes?" She looked at Brett who motioned to the waitress standing beside Dean Carter.

"What would you like to drink?" the waitress asked.

"Water. Please," Harper replied then smiled at the dean.

"How's the movie coming along?"

"Nicely," she replied.

"Harper is nearly finished with her part," Brett included. "The rest of the cast has a few more weeks."

"I think it is mighty fine of you to work around Dr. Chase's schedule." Dean Carter nodded.

"We couldn't do it without him," Brett exclaimed. "He taught a bunch of actors to speak Comanche. The guy's a genius in my book." Brett took his glass of champagne from the waitress and smiled. "Thank you, sweetheart." His flirtatious wink was too much.

"Ben's an asset to the university," Dean Carter said as the waitress placed his glass in front of him then handed Harper her water.

"Thank you." Harper briefly smiled at the waitress then focused on the Dean. "Where is Dr. Chase tonight?"

"He should be here anytime." The dean stood. "I'd like for you to meet my wife, Rose." Harper smiled as the elegant lady in the black gown took the seat next to her. They made their introductions as a man approached and motioned for the dean.