Chapter 7

Harper had her alarm set for nine, but continued to hit the snooze button until it was nearly noon. She had gone to bed early the night before, ignoring Mel's pleas to go out. Even with a full night's sleep, she still woke feeling tired and spent.

As she made her way to the kitchen, she quickly poured herself a cup of coffee and cringed at the bitterness. She dumped it in the sink then heard people talking and laughing. Peeking through the blinds, she saw the sun radiating brightly across the cloudless sky. There was a group hurrying to the set from the conference building. Brett must be filming today leaving her to speculate if she'd be left alone if she ventured outside for a walk. She doubted she would as she watched several people carry large pieces of equipment toward the fort.

She flipped through her script on the couch unsure if she would ever learn her lines in time for filming. Her body and mind were drained from the previous day but she was glad to have the trip behind her. In a strange way, she had almost looked forward to the service, thinking once it was over, she could get on with her life. Still though, the feelings were there; the sadness and emptiness noticeable with each breath. The knock at the door startled her.

"Morning." She blocked the sun from her eyes.

"It's one o'clock," Ben informed her.

Harper wondered if he could tell that she hadn't been awake for very long. He smiled almost apologetically leaving her to believe he could.

Ben walked to the couch where the script laid open. "Been studying without me? I warned you about that."

"You did?" She couldn't remember but wasn't surprised.

"I did." He picked up her script and sat next to her.

After flipping to the correct page, Ben slowly read the lines. She repeated, pronouncing them correctly. An hour later, he suggested a break. She grabbed two bottled waters from the refrigerator then walked to the couch.

He opened his bottle and after a drink asked, "How'd everything go?"

"It was surreal." Harper shrugged then quietly continued, "There was hardly anyone there. I hoped my uncle would come but," She paused. "Neither did her agent, her manager, or her publicist."

His voice was low and kind. "Did you go alone?"

"Statler went with me." Harper stopped to think of her relationship with her mother. Her thoughts became vocal. "I couldn't make her happy," she sniffed then continued, "and everything I did to be more like her only pushed us further apart." She silently tried to sort the feelings that plagued her. "I didn't even cry at the service." She rubbed her aching forehead and fought the stupid tears. She was so tired of crying. "I don't know what's wrong with me."

"You're grieving," Ben comforted. "It's okay."

Harper dried her eyes. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be unloading all this on you." She knew talking to a complete stranger about her personal life wasn't a good idea and wondered if a college professor had ever sold a story to a tabloid before. No need to give him a reason to.

"It's alright." He sounded sincere and she wanted to believe he was. "You know, it's a beautiful day outside."

She remembered the clear sky. "I thought about going for a walk, but there are so many people out there."

Ben quickly responded, "I...." He stopped and looked at the floor.

"What?"

"Nothing." He shook his head.

"What?" Harper persisted with a smile.

He paused for a moment then looked at her as if carefully trying to decide what to say next. "I, um, know someplace we could go," he offered, hesitantly.