Chapter 8

The aroma of the country ham was the first thing Ben noticed when he walked into his mother's house. Sunday lunch was a tradition for his family and had been for generations. He could remember both sides of his family coming together for Sunday meals when he was boy and missed those times. Simpler times, he thought as he took off his jacket, laid it neatly across the recliner, and then proceeded to the kitchen.

"It's about time you got here," Janet teased, setting plates on the table. "Will you grab the forks?"

Ben's grandmother, Grams, sat at the kitchen table and held Janet's youngest child on her lap. Seven month old Eva carefully pecked at Cheerios from the table. Grams encouraged Eva while constantly supplying more from the box.

"I talked to Cecil. He said he's been trying to get a hold of you." Ben's mother, Gloria, came into the kitchen. Gloria could easily pass for a woman much younger even though she was nearing sixty. Her resolve had seen her through a difficult marriage, divorce, and life as a single mother but had done very well and always bore a smile. Much of Ben's level-headedness came from his loving mother.

Ben set the silverware on the table. "He wants to talk about the counsel. I haven't had time to sit down with him yet,".

"The Council? Wow. You have to do it." Janet straightened the napkins while her son ran through the kitchen barely missing the edge of the kitchen table. "Quit running, Samuel!"

"Your grandfather would have wanted you to sit on the tribal council. Both of your grandfathers would. All of your grandfathers," offered Grams.

Ben nodded. He knew it was an honor to be asked but wondered when he would have time to meet with Cecil. He grabbed his four year old nephew. "Come here, stinker." The boy giggled as Ben picked him up and kissed him on the top of the head before tickling him. Samuel's laughter filled the kitchen.

"I think the hams ready." Gloria turned the oven off as the timer on the stove caught her attention. "Will you help me get it out of the oven?" Her question was directed at Ben. She turned off the timer as he sat the boy down then walked to the oven.

"Smells wonderful." He carefully set the roaster on the counter.

"Thank you," she replied, with a grin. "Janet and I were wondering if you'd take us to the movie set this afternoon."

"Mom wants to meet Michael Kennady," Janet joked.

"Oh hush," Gloria laughed, then added. "He's a good actor. Who wouldn't?"

"I don't see why not."

"I'd like to meet some of the others, too. Like Joseph Red Deer or Marion White Eagle." Gloria stuck spoons in the beans and corn that were already on the table.

"I want to meet that Harper Wills," Grams interjected.

"You don't want to meet her, does she, Ben?" Janet stated.

"She's alright." Harper had crossed his mind several times since dropping her off at her trailer. As he pondered how she was, he carefully sliced the ham. Gloria set the slices on a Corning Ware dish.

"I thought you couldn't stand her." Janet wiped the table. "What changed?"

He didn't speak for a moment as he reflected on his prior feelings toward her. "I found out her mother passed a couple of days before she got here."

"How sad!" Gloria exclaimed as she took the dish to the table. She placed it in the center as the family gathered around.

"Bless her heart." Janet looked at Ben.

"I took her to the mountain yesterday." He cringed but it was too late. Damn.

"Well," Gloria paused in disbelief, "that was nice." The shock was thick in her tone. She turned towards Janet then to Grams who each briefly glanced at her with their own look of concern.