Chapter 19

Harper saw some of her father's band members on stage as she walked into the concert hall. The constructed set looked great. Several round tables, chairs, and a large stage at one end made the room look enormous. A fake bar in the back was complete with beer taps and whiskey bottles. She shook her head knowing her father had to have been behind the planning. She laid her bag down on the counter. A Brooks and Dunn song came from the retro CD player sitting on the stage. Her father was a huge fan.

"Hey, girl," Brock said in his southern drawl. He walked out from behind the stage. At fifty-eight, Brock was still ruggedly handsome. His brown hair was speckled with gray and his blue eyes still mesmerized women of all ages. He was the epitome of a cowboy.

She hugged him and noticed his hair was more gray than the last time she saw him. The fact that he was clean shaven came as a surprise. "What happened to your beard?"

"Tryin' somethin' different." She could tell he was unsure of his new look. "Kristi likes it"

"I like it, too. It's very sheik."

"It's been too long, Harper." Brock gently kissed her on the cheek.

"You don't ever come and see me," she smiled, glad that she and Brock had grown closer over the past few years.

His eyes narrowed and a halfway smile etched across his face. "That's just what I was going to say to you." He sat on one of the barstools. "You ready for this?"

"I reckon," She heard her southern accent. It happened to appear anytime she was around her father. She climbed on the stool next to him.

"How're you doing?"

"I'm okay." She laid her phone on the bar in front of her.

"Ya sure?"

She nodded. "Yeah." She was sure. Maybe not totally but her heart felt less shattered. 

"How's your movie coming along?"

"I start filming soon."

"You haven't started filming yet? What've you been doing all this time?"

She smiled. "Learning Comanche."

"Comanche?" He shook his head. "That Sawyers' one crazy son of a bitch"

"Harper!" Cole yelled as he snuck up behind her.

"Cole!" She punched him in the arm. "You scared me to death."

Cole laughed, "Let's get this thing goin'."

"This is the plan, kids." Brock began as the three made their way to the stage. "We're each going to do four songs. We're also going to sing back up and play for each other's numbers. Our bands will accompany us."

"Are you going to sing Those Ole Memories?" Harper picked up her guitar and sat on the stool next to her father.

"Wasn't planning on doing any of Dad's songs." Brock strummed his guitar. "Why?"

~

Four hours later and after Cole had already left, Harper and Brock once again, were at the bar.

"My fingers are throbbin'." Brock flexed his hands to stretch his fingers. "I'm gettin' old. Bet yours aren't, are they?"

"A little" She picked up her phone and glanced at it, hoping to see a missed call from Ben.

"Expectin' a call?"

Harper smiled.

"Anybody I know?"

"I met him in South Dakota."

"Nice guy?"

"Yes, very nice guy." Was this the first nice guy she had ever met? Nobody compared to him. She thought about the way he looked at her. She thought of the way he held Eva and played with Samuel. The calm way to spoke and made her feel at ease.