Chapter 24

"Harper, meet baby Quanah," Brett yelled. A dark haired woman with a baby approached.

Harper smiled as the woman gently laid the baby in her arms. The plump dark skinned baby had a head full of thick black hair and was bundled tightly in a blanket.

"He should sleep. Here is his pacifier though if he wakes up before you start filming," his mother said.

"He's so little. How old is he?" Harper hid the pacifier behind the blanket. She had never seen anything so tiny and cute.

"Six weeks," his mother said proudly.

Brett yelled for everyone to take their places.

"I've never seen that much hair on a newborn." Marion cooed.

"Isn't he beautiful?" Harper tried to focus on her upcoming lines but couldn't help stealing a look at the baby every chance she got.

The scene began after Brett called action and for the next several minutes, Harper was Cynthia Ann holding her firstborn as those around her prepared for an attack on a neighboring tribe. Harper stood with the baby and tried to convince Peta Nocona why he shouldn't go to battle. Joseph matched her line for line as they argued in a different language, both speaking in perfect Comanche. As they got louder, the baby began to cry. Harper consoled the baby without missing her lines as Joseph deeply sighed and walked to them. He gently kissed the baby on the top of his head. He stared at Harper for a moment before he tenderly kissed her.

"Cut! Perfect! That's the way to do it, people!" Brett eagerly walked to Harper. "I need to talk to you for a minute." She gave the baby back to his mother then followed Brett anticipating what he might say.

She tried to keep up with him.

"Look, there's going to be a benefit at the university on Thursday night and I was wondering if you'd go with me?"

She narrowed her eyes. "What university?"

"University of South Dakota. I got contacted by the Dean. He's like my new bff or something. It's strange." With a quick shrug, he wrinkled his nose like he couldn't understand why the Dean would be so eager to get to know him. Harper knew exactly. "But anyway. Would you like to go?"

"You want me to go with you?"

With a sheepish grin, Brett nodded his head. "I know we haven't been the best of buds lately so I thought this would give us a chance to hang out. Plus, I don't have time to find a real date," he snickered. "What do you say?"

Harper watched Ben over Brett's shoulder. He glanced their way then said something to Lane. She smiled. "Why not?"

~

"Hey!" she asked as soon as Ben answered the phone.

"Hey, yourself."

"I want to see you before you leave the lot." She knew he would be on his way to his night class soon and couldn't wait to tell him her news.

"Give me a couple of minutes."

Harper was looking in the refrigerator for something to eat when she heard someone coming up the steps.

"What's going on?"

"I'm going to your benefit," she said, before the door was all the way open.

"What benefit?"

"At your school." She could tell he was confused plus he was giving her that, 'I have no clue what you're talking about' look. It was a frequent look of his when they were together. She offered more information. "On Thursday."