Through The Looking Glass

Adelyn

I am certain that my appearance was aghast for both Aurora and Amaris as they hover, suspended in this fluid world with no beginning and no end. Water is like chance and change; ever flowing constantly moving, adapting to the environment in which it exists.

Inside this shell of my third dimensional existence, I am still Adelyn.

My dreams, aspirations, and beliefs still rattle inside this skull of mine...yet, there is something new springing up inside of me. A new viewpoint, a new 'being'. I constantly ponder in the depths of my mind:

'Who am I?'

'What am I?'

Shall I bear these days of misfortune; equably, smilingly, proudly like one whom is accustomed to winning? Am I then really that of which other mermaids tell of; legends and myths of a bygone era?

Or, am I only what I, myself, know of myself through reflection of the soul? I'm restless and longing and sick; like a fish trapped inside a bowl far too small for its own freewill. I am yearning for colors of sea flowers, for the voices of the spinner dolphins, thirsting for words of kindness in an endless sea.

For neighborliness, being tossed to and through in expectations of great events of my own doing. Yet, I am powerless, trembling for friends at an infinite distance at which I cannot reach.

Weary and empty of hope, thinking, making...planning. Faint and frail, ready to say farewell to the land that I know best.

Who am I?

Am I this or the other?

Am I a Syreni today and a different soul tomorrow? Or, am I both at once?

A hypocrite before a sea of troubled souls. They see me as strong and forth-leading of their uncertain future; and yet, they cling to their past. And before them, myself, a contemptible woebegone hatchling. Or, is something within me still like the fleeting past, fleeing in disorder from victory already achieved in the flesh, spirit and soul?

Who am I?

My subconscious mocks me.

These lonely questions of mine...for whoever I am, thou know my contempt mermaid soul, I am thine! For every soul born on this earth has a purpose to play, and for so many wasted years I have searched for clarity, the truth lays before me.

I was born in human flesh, but my soul has always yearned for the sea...my lost mermaid soul trying to navigate back home. And as if destined by the Source above, I have been led to this point in time. Right where I need to be.

***

With my internal debate finally at a rest, I glance at Amaris and Aurora...with renewed spirit. I have always wanted to be unique, and I have been given the rare chance to return to the point of origin.

Aurora can see and sense my mental struggle as she gently drifts over and takes me in her arms as a child and holds me tight; filling my soul with her light...helping to banish the self-doubt and struggle.

I cried underwater, all the stress was released as I felt foolish and greedy. There is a world suffering, scared and lost...and I act as if I am the only one hurting here. But I have been given the greatest gift...a life on land and at sea.

Aurora coos to me as I hold onto her tight,

[There...there. It isn't the flesh and scales that determine the person, Adelyn...it is their soul and the light they choose to live in. You've always found the positive in a negative situation; guiding, and caring...that is why Veridia and the mermaid council had placed you in charge of the hatchlings.]