Changes

David

I sit beside the pool, avoiding the saltwater at all cost. I now could sympathize with the other mermaids about being mindful of the water at all times while in human form -- just a single drop -- and it is scales and a tail!

I watch Stella swim around while the unnamed seal just suns herself out upon the rocks. They both were making wonderful progress!

Stella talks to me, telling me all about her family, back at sea. She had been away from the other dolphins for so long that she was dying of social separation.

How ironic that the skilled human doctors had misdiagnosed Stella's condition, keeping her away from the other dolphins all because they thought that she'd just be abused by the other dolphins and die. Even the young seal maiden asks about the other fur seals, wondering if she would ever see them again.

I can understand their sorrows. If I were to become a mermaid and locked away from the public eye, poked and prodded, I too would want to be with others who are like me. That is community. Family!

Dolphins and seals are just like humans in so many ways!

They are social creatures! They have families, friends, parents, and a home that they always long for. They develop friends with others who are kind to them, and those who cause them harm, they dislike intensely! They dream, make plans, and have emotions of their own.

However, I never expected Stella and 'Selkie', as I call her, to teach me so much about the sea. About the local Mizu mermaids, and constantly asking me to surrender my primitive human nature, telling me that I cannot fight who I truly am, forever.

***

"You do not understand!" I tell them, mourning over the painful memories of early morning. "If I get wet, I might transform and be caught by the other humans! I am not ready to accept that fate quite yet! The emotional and physical pain is only a piece of the complication!"

[You can't avoid the sea, all your life!] Selkie tells me telepathically...something that all seals seem capable of doing, which explains the headaches that I had received yesterday. The unconditioned human brain isn't designed for telepathy.

"This might be just a phase, Selkie!" I tell her as the seal just shakes her head, grunting at me.

[You are a mermaid; the magic is far stronger today.] Selkie tells me, her words stabbing my heart. She could tell that the magic inside of me was consuming me!

"I am scared!" I whimpered, looking down at the ground "I feel like my whole body and my mind are being torn apart by some ancient spell! What if this magic has changed me so much that I will cease to be me!"

Stella swims over as she was purposely careful not to get me wet. I heard the plop-plop-plop sound of Selkie hopping over, nuzzling under my arm as they did their best to comfort me...I was overwhelmed by their emotions that flooded my mind like a wild river. It was proof that I was still changing.

[Magic does not change who you are. You have always been a mermaid. It is in your blood.] Selkie informs me, while Stella adds.

[Mermaid is magic. You are magic.] Stella squeaks.

"Blood?" I remarked, then remembered Yuzuki taking my blood and dropping a drip of saltwater that caused the cells to transform. "So, it 'is' genetic!"

[Yes.] Stella nodded her head.

"How do you guys know all about this? When even the others do not know! They just keep saying that it is magic." as it seemed almost unbelievable that a seal and a dolphin would know more about mermaid anatomy than even the mermaids!