Prologue • The Little Mouse

The sky cleared itself as the day began. Amidst all the noises of the night – crickets, late–night drives, and the coo of birds confused by the unnatural lights – mice scattered themselves to pick up the crumbs left in the day. New York was a pretty city – definetly – but not all cities were spared from the occasional rodent. But, if they were only about at night or where no one else would go, then it was fine. Besides, plenty of people lived here and plenty of people had cats! Cats. The animal which was notorious for catching such small animals and leaving it as a present for their owners, much to their disgust. Everyone's disgust. Except for... One person.

A pristine, white cat of heavy fur all bundled up into spirals, and shining blue eyes – just like it's owner's – had arrived back home in it's night of prowling. It wore a bell which alerted it's owner right to them. A tall, angelic figure stood above this pretty, well-kept feline, which was worth the world and more to him, with an overjoyed smirk.
"Where have you been all night, Snowball?" He asked, bending down to give his pet all the love it deserved.
From Snowball's mouth came a mouse as white as her. Her little teeth marks were etched in clean red holes dotted around the poor thing. Without even flinching, her owner picked up the mouse with one hand and stroked the cat's head and neck with the other.
"Awww, thank you!" He cooed at her with more compliments, giving all his affection to his furry companion.

After enough affection had been given, he set the mouse aside on a table and made two bowls of breakfast. A plain one for himself and only the best quality food for his fluffy companion. Once he had finished, he scooped up the mouse with his bare hands and took it to a work room. One of two work rooms. While one was for paperwork, the other he had entered was for creative work.

He toosed it onto a desk and, from the draws, pulled out a short blade. And a fine blade it was: it was recently sharpened and cleaned thoroughly for new use. It reflected the dim ceiling light with a sparkle. His hand moved delicately, making a single incision through the mouse's body. A grin appeared on his face as he watched the fur tint red. He inspected the insides with a keen eye, readying his free hand to rip out the insides. But, before he could continue, ringing struck in his ear. The phone. It pierced his eardrums annoyingly. He dropped the blade to the side and made his way to the other work room.

He checked the number and began to sigh and grumble angrily. But, he couldn't leave it ringing. Once composed, he picked up the phone to listen to an annoying, whiny, American accent. USA chimed out happily,
"Hey, UN! Glad you could answer!"