15: Stuck on you

May 2nd

The end of the year was approaching fast, which meant final exams. I was never one for studying, but I of course needed to pass Senior year and get good final grades for college, so I took these exams seriously.

I was sitting in history, bored. Our exam was going to be simple, 35 questions about everything we learned second semester, with an hour and a half to complete. I looked over all my notes for the last five minutes of class. When the bell rang, I packed everything up quickly and went to lunch.

Some things never change, and that includes me being the last one to arrive at lunch. I sat in the usual seat by Sal. My mind drifted to this past year; it all went by so fast. So many school memories, and so many memories from hanging out and going places. Why does it feel like I'll be losing them? We all are going to local colleges, so we won't ever be far away. I'm going to be with Todd, and Sal was thinking of going to a technical college. Larry isn't going anywhere. And Ash said she's going to apply to the same local college as Todd and I, to take some basic classes. We'll always be close... even if we aren't in the same school.

"Everyone, I have exciting news!" Ash stood up from her seat with a bright smile. We turned our attention to her and waited for her to continue.

"I got into the art college!" Ash squealed. My jaw dropped at the news.

"That's amazing Ash! I knew you could do it!" Larry stood up and grabbed Ash in a big hug.

"But... Isn't it far away?" I remember we talked about the school. She was so upset because she thought she wouldn't get in because she was late to turning in her portfolio. She decided she had no chance so thought it was best to give up on the school and just go to the local college. She even said she was kinda happy she was late, because the art college is towns over, and she would need to get a dorm. She would no longer live in Nockfell.

"Yeah, it is..." She looked a little sad, but her smile stayed. "I won't be around all the time, but I promise I'll visit during breaks, and I'll call everyone all the time!"

"I'm so proud of you!" Larry cheered.

"Yeah, good job Ash," Sal said softly.

Everyone continued to ask Ash what she'll be studying, and how long she'll be gone. She looks so happy about being accepted, that I can't bring her down by wishing she would stay. So, I put on a fake smile and encourage her. Art school means the world to her, I should be proud she was accepted.

...

After lunch ended, I walked with Sal to our next classes. We were both upset over the news, and I knew Sal was taking it harder than I was.

"You heard what she said, she'll visit us whenever she can. It won't be that bad," I looked at poor Sal, staring at the ground.

"I'll be fine. I'm happy if she's happy," He mumbled.

"Ok..."

Once we were in front on my PE class, and it was Sal's time to leave, I could just barely see the tears in his eyes.

"Oh, come here," I wrap my arms around his shoulders and hold him in a tight hug. He hesitantly wraps his arms around me waist. I pat his head softly. It pains me to see Sal this way. I know how hard his life is. How he would do anything for his friends, how he's the kindest person I've ever known, how he doesn't want to let anyone go...

"Katie... Is it selfish for me to act like this?" He quietly asks.

"Of course, not Sally. It's ok,"