Capitolo Venti

The car is tilting!

The only reaction I can muster is to widen my eyes as the wall comes rushing towards us. I don't have the time to scream or even let out any sound.

Yet, we don't strike wall.

Because the car is tilted, a quick millisecond glance at the right side of the windows shows the car's passage of the fence.

So, yay! We made it!

But the car is still tilting.

In fact, it doesn't stop till I feel very lightheaded and till my body feels suspended in thin air, weightless.

It's bliss, but only for another couple of milliseconds.

I'm quickly brought up to speed with the natural laws of physics that I'm used to when the car slams on the ground and scatters everything that isn't held in place.

I'm also thrown from my seat towards the roof of the car, confirming that we indeed landed upside down.

However, that isn't the end of our woes. In fact, in a unique blend of luck and disaster, the car bounces on its roof and somehow finds the leverage to roll itself back onto its tires.

It doesn't stop there.

Before I can take proper cognizance of my environment, we're rolling again.

This happens at least three times until we're finally stable again, and to our surprise, the car lands on its feet.

"Brrr!" I hear Trey shudder. "It wasn't like this the first time me and Angelo tried it."

"Yup. I'm your bad luck charm." I huff, clearing my face off the debris that might have accumulated, both internally and externally.

Almost all the windows are shattered and the car looks more like a shack...on the inside. The outside probably looks like a 4th grader's school project.

"Indeed." He grunts and kicks open the glass of the windshield that is still on the car, but is too shattered for it to be of any use. If anything, we'd sooner die from a crash, Trey not being able to see the road, than from whatever the windshield would protect us from.

I look over behind us, which is through the left window to see that the Riccas didn't follow us.

No one in their right minds would attempt what we did, unless they wanted to lose their cars.

Besides, this is now Cristallo Scuro territory. They wouldn't dare.

"There's no way this thing still starts, right?" I look back over at Trey.

To answer me, he pushes the start button and the engine coughs hard, but into life.

"You've gotta be kidding me." I gasp and slouch back into the chair, preparing myself for one hell of a ride. Trey activates the gear and we begin a slow, painful drive back home.

All my joints hurt, and I know I have to pay Doctor Pasquale a visit once we get back home. There's no way I didn't break or twist a joint from this crash. It's probably just the adrenaline coarsing through me that is making me feel numb to most of the pain.

As we drive, I notice Trey wince a couple of times. There's no rearview mirror anymore; I'm guessing it was one of the things that got destroyed during the crash. However, I have a neck that turns. Disconnecting my already broken seatbelt and straining to observe him, I see his black shirt patched wet around his abdomen.

What is with the Riccas and belly wounds?

"You might wanna check that." I point to his belly with my eyes, but Trey shrugs it off.