Capitolo Diciotto

The plan is simple.

Find Donatello and make him give us back the drive. To that end, he'll probably be mad enough to want to kill both of us, but he'll be too much of a 'piccola stronza' to face the dark crystal head-on.

That's not to worry, because we will be coming back.

My father wants him dead, anyway, and so he will have that opportunity to kill us or die trying. Angelo wants to be there to watch.

The reason we can't go with a bunch of men and enact our revenge in my father's name is because we want no one to know that the drive was missing from Angelo's possession in the first place.

My father isn't a particularly ruthless man, especially not to his family. However, still, I struggle to think of a scenario where his knowing that Angelo was sleeping with the enemy and lost a drive of information worth thirty million dollars would end well. Even the gentlest of beasts can get angry, and when they do, it's never pleasant.

Trey wanted to go alone, but I would choke on an AR suppressor first before that happens and for two reasons.

"What is your first reason?" he cocks a brow at me.

Yes, it's a conversation we're having.

"You're not going to leave me all alone while you get yourself some of that action...no way! I want in on it as well...and I also want to make sure you don't do anything stupid," I ramble. "Wait...those are two reasons already." I furrow my brows and play my speech over in my head.

"Princess, the plan in itself is stupid. Only one person can go and bear the consequences of stupid actions, or we both go, and we die together...which is better?"

"We are not going to die." I grind my teeth, hardening my jaw as I meet his nonchalant gaze.

"Every time we go out to do something dangerous, we explore the possibility of death, Principessa. Don't buy into the delusion that we're invulnerable because we're the strongest family in Almafi Coast." He casts an eerie smile my way before beginning his journey out of the house.

I follow after him. "Well, I'll follow you, nonetheless. Let's go...die together, or whatever."

"What's number two?"

"Huh?"

"You said you have two reasons. What's the second one? Or the third one at this point."

"I just..." I let out an exhale, "I just want to be sure you'll be safe."

I can't believe I said that.

"So, you do care about me." He says. I look over at him to catch a glint in his eye. It's not a smile...if anything, his brows tighten a tad bit. It's the emotion behind it. It's not his usual empty, insouciant gaze. There's some purpose behind this look, and even though he's not staring at me, I pick it.

I wanted to say something to shut down his statement, but I decide against it and tell him the plain truth.

"You could say...I guess...I dunno. That's not how it played out in my head." I shrug. I turn to him again because, in my periphery, I saw his head move.

Yup, he's looking at me, this time, with what I would take as a smile.

It's small, his lips are barely wider than when he's not smiling, and his eyes brighten up, but just a little, not enough for anyone who is mostly logical and factual to consider a smile, but I know Trey. He smiled.

This is notable because it's not a smirk, a mischievous grin, or a wicked cackle. It's a genuine smile.

Chills run down my spine a little, seeing him display actual, heartwarming emotion, no matter how little.