chapter nineteen

"but i can't helpfalling in love with you

"but i can't help
falling in love
with you."
- Can't Help Falling In Love, Tommee Profitt

"You shouldn't be here, Audrey. This could get dangerous. More dangerous than it already is.." Bucky says, lowly.

"It's too late for that. And we can't leave her in the car." Sam comments.

"We couldn't have left her on the plane?" Bucky argues.

"Not particularly a safe option either." Zemo says from the front seat.

"It's fine. It's not like I have to do anything, right? I'm just a bit of arm candy." I say. "I'm safer with you than anywhere else."

Our vehicle becomes surrounded by six motorcycles, who appear to be escorting us. I look out the window and spot a sidearm on one of the riders.

"You sure about that?" Bucky says to me quietly, arching his eyebrow.

I reach down and clasp his hand tight for the rest of the drive.

We reach our destination and it's time for me to let go of Bucky's hand. Time for us to assume our roles. And The Winter Soldier holds hands with no one.

I hop out of the car and link arms with 'Smiling Tiger' Sam. We make our way through the busy street, aglow under all the coloured fluorescents.

Every now and then, Zemo nods to people we pass. People with guns. People doing deals of god knows what. I keep my eyes averted from faces, focusing more on the buildings, on my outfit, on Sam. And on Bucky.

"Here we are." Zemo announces.

We enter a bustling bar and make our way through the crowd, Zemo in front, followed closely by a stone cold looking Bucky, while Sam and I bring up the rear.

"Is that The Winter Soldier?" I hear someone whisper as we pass.

Heads start to turn.

I cling tightly to Sam's arm and try to keep a blank expression on my face while I flick my hair. It doesn't prove to be too difficult, since at times, I hold a poker face for a living.

The bartender spots our little posse and comes over to greet us. "Hello, gentlemen." he says, over the bar. "Wasn't expecting you, Smiling Tiger."

"His plans changed." Zemo states. "We have business to do with Selby."

The bartender nods before looking back to Sam. "The usual?" he asks.

Sam just nods his head.

The bartender pulls a snake from a jar and proceeds to slice it open. I let go of Sam's arm and pretend to look at my nails, trying to ignore the bartender as he removes snake innards and adds them to a shot glass.