chapter seventeen

"i come up hard, baby, but now i'm cooli didn't make it, sugar, playin' by the rules

but now i'm cool
i didn't make it, sugar,
playin' by the rules."
- Trouble Man, Marvin Gaye

I manage to send a text to my sister after we land, letting her know that I won't be in Brooklyn for a few days.

I tell her that Bucky's been called back to work, and I've been asked to accompany him for monitoring, and that it's all confidential.

I also contact Madeline, leaving her an email with instructions on reorganising my clients for the next few days.

We waste no time heading to the facility where Zemo is being held, Bucky and Sam both growing more nervous the closer we get.

We make it through and one of the guards leads us down a long white hall, to Zemo's cell.

"He's just through that corridor." the guard informs us, pointing us in the right direction.

"All right. Give us a sec." Bucky says and the guard leaves us. "I'm gonna go in alone." he informs Sam and I.

"Why?" Sam questions instantly.

"'Cause you're an Avenger. You know how he feels about that."

"It's not like you two were known for frolickin' in the sun together." Sam argues. "At least take Edwards with you."

"I'm a stranger to Zemo. He might not be as forthcoming with me in there." I say. "I'm not happy about it either, but I think Bucky going in alone is the best option."

"He was obsessed with HYDRA. We have a history together. Trust me. I got it." Bucky reassures. He heads off to Zemo, leaving Sam and I to wait in the hall.

I cross my arms, letting out a quiet sigh, while Sam stands with his hands on hips, the both of us shifting our weight.

"You think he's gonna be okay?" Sam asks, keeping his voice low.

"I do." I say, looking up at him. "Absolutely. I can't imagine he's happy about having to see Zemo, but his mind is his own and it's strong."

My eyes go back to the corridor Bucky disappeared through as I bite my lip.

"You really care about him, huh?" Sam says, and I turn back to him.

"Very much so." I admit quietly. "He's become very special to me."

"You this close with all your patients?"

I frown at him. "Excuse me?" I ask, offendedly. "I'm a professional."

"Oh- hey, I wasn't insinuating- I didn't mean-" Sam stammers. "-I wasn't implying you're unprofessional-"

I arch an eyebrow at him.