chapter seven

"just know that i'm still here, i'm ready for you whenever you need

i'm ready for you whenever you need."
- Hiding, Florence + the Machine.

It's been two days and I still can't stop reminiscing about our walk home on Monday night.

Our walk home? No. My walk home with James.

There is no our.

Apart from our sessions, there is no 'our.'

I refuse to develop counter transference. I'm better than that. Or so I like to think. He can bat those blue eyes at me all he likes and walk around shirtless 24/7 for all I care. It's not going to phase me. This will be no Joker and Harley Quinn situation.

It was nice to see James outside of the office and in a more casual environment.

We definitely bonded a little more, so our next session is promising.

I finish replying to a message from Jules and put on some relaxing music, connecting my phone to the waterproof speaker in my bathroom. The music fills the room while I welcome a nice, warm shower.

After that, I light a scented candle and read a few chapters of a new novel I recently purchased. While I read, it starts to rain, adding to the ambience.

Later in the night, I blow out my candle and on my way to bed, I turn up the temperature of the thermostat.

I open my bedroom window, letting in the sound of the rain, before I run and jump onto my bed, excited to get cozy.

I slip out of my forest green linen dressing gown and curl up into my forest green linen sheets, in my matching forest green linen pyjamas.

You know you're getting old when you get a thrill out of matching bed ware.

Having upped the thermostat, I'm quick to get cozy in my cami and shorts. I gaze out my open window, watching the rain fall, until I fall asleep to the sound of it.

As I start to stir, I notice that the sound of rain has ceased and I open my eyes in a squint, to look at the window.

Sure enough, no more rain.

I debate getting up and closing the window for all about three seconds, quickly deciding I don't feel like waking myself up enough for the task.

I roll over, getting comfortable again, pulling the cover up to my neck but leaving my legs exposed. It's a little warm but I'm not about to get up and turn down the thermostat either.

Before I close my eyes, I glance down my bed, to the chair on the other side of the room. My body freezes at the sight of a dark mass in the chair.

I blink and squint, hoping it's just a trick of the dark, because I know the chair was empty when I went to bed.