Chapter One

Alia's Pov
It's the first day of my college. Well I am not at all excited for it. I miss being the bubbly girl I was. But I no longer really have that quality left in me. It's all the play of destiny.

I defeated cancer but no longer have interest in anything. But it's life and I have to live it and so I also have to earn money. Here I am again in college to perseve my bachelor's degree and finally graduate.

I dropped out of St. Xavier's when I completed 2nd year of my bachelor's degree. I was diagnosed with liver cancer at that time. The doctors found it early and that is why I got a early treatment. Defeated cancer after 4 years of chemotherapy. Took a year off and now I am back. Again walking through the corridors I walked 5 years ago which feels like ages now. Every single thing is changed. From the classrooms board and bench to the teachers. Well so is my energy. Nothing feels familiar and I don't even know if I am familiar to myself?

It's the life I got after a lot of efforts from my mom, my doctors everyone. I can't just let it go to waste. All I am doing now is for the sake of life which my mum gifted me. I just hope I can really do this.

I entered my classroom. Room no. 35 it was supposed to be my class 5 years ago. These is where my friends enjoyed their last year of college and the privilege of being seniors. If I haven't dropped out, if I haven't diagnosed by cancer, I would have been here 5 years ago enjoying the end of college life and the feeling of being a senior. But it's the word 'if' again, destiny had different plans for me

'Oh come on Alia. Get it together. You're gonna make it through your first day.' I said to myself and sat on a bench. Everyone started coming one by one.
The class was totally full and I had a girl sitting next to me. Well I think I should start the conversation.

Before I could say anything the professor entered the class. But he looks pretty young for a 3rd year professor.

Everyone greeted him.

"So here's the start of a wonderful year right? You all are finally seniors. I know what kind of excitement you all have. The class is literally all full. I hope these remains constant till the end of these month. Alright so let me introduce myself and you all tell me about yourself too. But let's take this process a little faster. All you have to tell me is your full name."

"My name is Abhimanyu Verma. Your professor of English literature."

"Okay now let's start the introductions from the left side. First bench please." He said professionally, his voice soft yet deep. That's surely an experienced professor.

Everyone was introducing themselves and it's my time now. I stood up.
"Good Morning sir. My name is Alia Ravindra Basu." I said but I guess I did not have enthusiasm in my voice but at least I was confident enough to make an eye contact with the professor unlike many students.

One thing my experience has thought me is I can read people's eyes. And I know he suspects my uneasiness and also the fact that I am older.
'Oh relax professor nothing of these is gonna affect my studies.' I said as I sat down. I noticed something I was not supposed to, his eyes are deep ocean blue colour which is not common in India and they even hold a story many are unaware of. As much as I am curious to know it, as a student I know where my boundaries lie.

So my partner is named 'Riza Pathan'. Oh poor girl, don't have much of a confidence. I could see her legs shaking.

'Oh come on dear he is not gonna eat you.'

"Hey that's quite alright. You did good don't be worried." I whispered to her.
"Oh you noticed. I am sorry. I have social anxiety. "
"Oh you don't have to be sorry. Just don't think a lot about it. You're perfect just the way you are." I said and smiled her lips curved into a smile as well. No matter what I like making others smile even if somewhere I myself am a bit sad.

Over the lunch break I did try to socialize but I guess no one wants to be friends with a 5 years older girl. But I yet got Riza besides me. She is an introvert. We are just sticking together.

Before I head out I got Riza's number. I knew it would be hard to fit in. It's the first day. I think I should take it slower.

I reached my apartment. The rush of Pune city and the not so tolerable heat is tiresome.

Well at least I have a beautiful scenery in front of my apartment. It's a 2BHK flat in front of a beautiful garden. The building is awesome. It has a clubhouse, swimming pool and a play area for kids.

Rambika Housings, B wing flat no 205. A beautiful 2BHK flat facing the garden. With a classy hall, awesome kitchen and two bedrooms having a complete different decor.

I brought this flat years ago with my best friend Sitara. We both got part time jobs just after we passed out 12th standard. We both first worked at a supermarket together and had lot of savings. Just after a while we worked at the back office for a company and soon we earned a lot. We decided to move out from the hostel. Luckily my aunt who lives aboard had a flat vacant here. She sold it to us in really low price and with furniture. In return all we have to do is let her stay there when she comes from aboard. Well it was a pretty great deal a 2BHK flat at this area of Pune city in such a reasonable price, on just a demand to let my aunt stay here when she comes from aboard. It's really good, she hasn't come back for 2 years and her chances of coming back are slim even if she did, she is alone so it's not really a big deal.

I yet work at back office in the same company whereas Sitara is already assistant manager of that company. Sitara is really good person. She took care of me with my mom. Gave emotional and financial support to me in my crisis. Really one wins at life when you get a friend like that. She is now earning very much. She can move out. But she choosed to stay with me. I only trust her after my mother. I surely don't have much to call mine. But whatever I have are the priceless people. That is what keeps me going even now.

I did some work and quickly finished the house chores. I don't have much to do so I always do cooking, cleaning and stuff like that. But Sitara won't let me do it alone so we share it.

"Hey dear." Sitara said coming in.
"Hi, how was your day?" I asked shouting from the kitchen as I was cooking.
"Tiring as always." Sitara a girl in her mid twenties. Slim body a beautiful short and curly hair and a dashing personality. She was really the famous girl of our college.

She came into the kitchen.

"How was yours?"
"Well as expected, no one seemed interested to get acquainted by an elder girl."
"Oh come on Alia. Give it time. It was just the first day."
"Don't worry I am not giving up. I know, I decided to give it time. I am at least friends with one girl."
"That's like my girl." She said and hugged me from behind.
"People will suspect this kind of a behavior."
"You know what I don't care. I already have a pretty best friend or I should say an elder sister cum momma."
"Okay, okay now go wash up and get changed you are smelling."
"These is just what I mean. Okay momma on it." She said and was about to go.
"Wait a minute." I said and put a piece of carrot in her mouth which I was cutting.
"Now go."
"Thank you. Tell me more about today at dinner." She said.

She is bubbly and younger than me by 8 months. She is a lot mature but likes to get pampered. And I play the momma rule for her. I like that too. Our friendship is something both of us can't describe but it is precious.