First Collision

I've been Ill for the last three days, dealing with a persistent and annoying runny nose that just won't quit. The constant heat in the past two weeks on this island is making it harder for me to breathe. I lie in bed, trying to drift off, but even after sleeping non-stop for the past few days, the throbbing headache and overwhelming exhaustion is still here.

I listen to the floorboards creaking, signaling someone hurrying up the stairs. It's not aggressive, more like the impatience of someone in a rush to reach the second floor. The door swings open with force, it's so loud for a moment I think I'm being raided by the police. Startled, I jumped up in bed, only to find my mom standing on the other side of the bed. She boasts long, sleek dark hair, petite yet captivating eyes, and full lips that conceal a stunning set of pearly white teeth.

She greets me with a warm smile, "Maya, still feeling like you're on your deathbed?" I reply with a pained moan, "I've got a slight feeling this might be my final resting place."

"If you keep up with the drama, you'll miss out on the party tonight." She says, throwing open the shutters, sunlight flooding in and blinding me. I shield my eyes with a pillow and fall back on the bed. "Mother. I could not possibly care less about that party." She exclaims, "But you were so excited about it!" Her tone shoots up a bit too high, making my head pound even more. "Lower the volume, please," I grunt.

"Sweetheart, your dad invited us to join him for the grand opening of the Daniels family's new hotel tomorrow. Just a heads up, let's be mindful of the number of cocktails." She gazes out the window, and I say carefully, "Honestly, right now, I'm not in a great condition to attend that event."

From his office next to my bedroom, my dad shouts, "You're going!" I groan into my pillow, shouting back, "But why?!" I hear him walking towards my room.

"There are important people you need to meet. My new business partner has children, and with new streets being built on the island, there are plenty of business opportunities coming our way. I need you, Maya. Your bright smile and charm make connecting much easier."

"So, you're using me." I try to portray myself as a victim, hoping for some mercy. "Naturally. You're my daughter," he says sarcastically, flashing a tired smile with his gray stubble and dark, short hair, worn from work

My mother supports my father while he sips his coffee. "Your dad thinks it's beneficial for you to get to know those boring people. They might get you into a great college you know. There are a bunch of fancy Italians in the new estates." I exhale into my pillow and ask, "you mean up on Berkeley Street?"

"Yeah, so try not to go too wild at the party, please," she says again. Gotta admit, she's the most transparent, protective and over-controlling mom I know. But she means well. "Alani's pumped for the party, not me. I'd rather crumble and fade away right here," I mumble into my pillow.

"Oh, tonight, we are fading, getting hammered, smashed, the primary goal is to get wasted." A cheerful, warm voice echoes from the hallway. I hear my father walking away to his office again. I lift the pillow from my face, and there's Alani in the doorway. Her radiant dark skin gleams, and her brown eyes transform into golden hue in the sunlight. I didn't even hear her climb the stairs; she deliberately sneaked up to eavesdrop, as she always does.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Take it easy. Your goal is to have fun and get home safely," my mom begins, widening her eyes as she looks at both of us. It's as if everything Alani says is automatically my responsibility. Unfortunately, I don't have time to defend myself before she continues, "And I really hope you won't be running off with some guy, no matter how good he's at dancing or whatever else he might be doing with you at that party!" I protest, "Mom, please!" feeling uncomfortable by the whole conversation.