Home

Vel slept for three days straight. She would have slept longer if it weren't for someone incessantly banging on her door. Groaning, she rolled over, burying her face in a pillow. Fae ears, however, were not easily muffled. There was only one person who was allowed through her wards and she didn't particularly feel like talking to him. The knocking persisted, growing more demanding. She muttered something unfriendly under her breath and crawled out of bed, dragging the blanket with her. She wrapped it around herself before noting the patches of mud and dried blood, grimacing as she realized that her legs were covered in crusted Autumn Court silt up to her knees.

Azriel stood at the door, one hand on the frame, ready to knock again if she hesitated too long about opening it. In his other hand, he was carrying two jute bags filled with what seemed to be assorted groceries and one paper bag that smelled like her favorite food. She'd almost died and he thought food would be a good enough peace offering. She sighed deeply. Though his face remained impassive, his wings, usually tall and proud, were slightly droopy – the only sign of guilt he showed. It was the only reason she moved out of the doorway to let him in.

"Good morning," she said but as she closed the door behind him she noticed the sun was setting in the distance. An awkward silence settled over them as he set down the food on the dining counter and busied himself with unpacking. She wasn't going to make it any easier for him, so she just sat down on the tall chair across the counter, blanket wrapped around her like a cocoon.

"I heard you were back," he said finally, his voice low and flat. She wondered if those words were an excuse or an attempt at placation. All she could think about was that Azriel had known. Of course, he had. He knew where she had been, that her mission had gone awry, that she had been tortured, escaped, and ran for her life. And then, he knew when she was back and had avoided her for three days. As he watched her with his hazel eyes, she realized her heart had been clinging to the hope that he hadn't known.

"Why?" It was all she could manage without her voice betraying her. Whatever else they had, they were first and foremost friends. They'd known each other for five hundred years, they'd fought on the same side of the war, they'd shared intel with each other, and that night when they drank and danced together under the starry sky in Velaris, she'd thought they could be more than friends. But when it mattered most, Azriel had let her down. Leaning over the counter toward her, his scarred hands splayed out, he seemed ready to reach out. She felt her bottom lip tremble and there was a tight feeling in her throat. Nobody alive had seen her cry and she'd be damned if he'd be the one. So Vel crossed her arms over her blanket and pressed her lips together in a frown.

"Rhys said pulling you out might as well be a declaration of war." His lip was slightly pulled back from his teeth, his words were icy – the only indications of his displeasure. "Not just against the Autumn Court ... Word would get out to the other courts and they would think we're trying to expand our influence through you. Or even worse, someone like Nostrus might be tempted to take a page from Beron's book, which would only put you in more danger." She couldn't help but roll her eyes. He was likely echoing the same words Rhysand had used to pacify him. The difference was that Azriel had bought the excuses, because he was Rhysand's loyal dog, and she was not.

Vel knew Azriel couldn't disobey a direct order from his High Lord. But surely there must have been something he could have done, no matter how small. When she didn't say anything he continued.

"For what it's worth, I'm sorry, Vel. I really am." Azriel reached over the counter to touch her arm. His skin was cold, and she recoiled. For a brief moment, hurt flashed over his face before he pulled his hand back and stuffed both of them into his pockets. "After you got out I wanted to come and get you. If you were somewhere in the Autumn Court nobody would have known how or when you disappeared ... But I saw you with Lucien Vanserra and it seemed like he was helping you, so I didn't want to give myself away, just in case he was planning to return to Beron later."