Chapter 7: One Man Down, Many To Go

Nobody slept that night. Everyone sat sprawled about the camp, some crying, but none sleeping. When the sun finally rose, A few people set to work clearing the bodies. Leaving Tank to occupy the kids and hopefully distract them from the horrific scene that surrounded them all, Lauren set off to help clear as well. She managed to drag a few over to the burn pile before the smell finally got to her. After dropping the fourth one off, she stumbled over to the bushes and hurled.

Glenn, who hadn't been far, quickly ran over to Lauren, holding her hair as she emptied up the remnants of her stomach.

"Well, there goes dinner." She groaned.

"Lauren, are you okay?"

"What happened?" Lauren was flooded with concerns as Rick and Shane rushed over to her side as well.

"I'm fine guys. Seriously." She reassured them, covering her nose with her sleeve as T-dog lit up the pile of bodies. "God, that smell is foul." She gagged.

Andrea hadn't moved from Amy's body all night and it was clear that no amount of coaxing from the group would make her. The rest of the group was huddled a ways away, trying to figure out how to handle it.

"Ya'll can't be serious." Daryl ridiculed when the solution most agreed on was to leave her be. "Jus' let her hamstring us? That dead girl's a time bomb."

"Well, what do you suggest we do?" Rick challenged.

Daryl rolled his eyes. "Take the shot. Clean, in the brain from here."

Lauren looked at him in disgust. "Have you lost your mind?"

"Hell, I can hit a turkey between the eyes from this distance."

"We aren't talking about a fucking turkey Daryl!" She reprimanded him. "That's Amy! It's her sister! For god's sake let her be."

Daryl scoffed and stormed off to continue dragging away the bodies. Lauren's attention was quickly caught by Glenn a moment later when he began yelling at Daryl and Morales who were in the middle of dragging one of their former campmate's bodies into the burn pile.

"Hey hey, that piles for geeks. Our people go over there." He pointed to the bury pile on the other side of the RV.

"What's the difference? They're all infected." Daryl dismissed.

"Our people go in that row over there." Glenn continued, his voice raising, "We don't burn them!"

The two men stared at the young man.

"We bury them. You understand? Our people go over there."

"Ya reap what you sow." Daryl grumbled after dropping the body in its correct pile.

Morales panted from beside him, "You know what? Shut up, man."

"Y'all left my brother for dead!" He continued shouting. "Y'all had this coming!" He huffed, storming off towards the makeshift burial ground. Lauren followed after him, intent on giving him a piece of her mind, she'd had just about enough of his outbursts. But before either of them could even make it more than five feet from camp, Jaqui's panicked announcement had the both of them hurrying back.

"A walker got him." She backed away from Jim frantically. "A walker bit Jim."

Everyone froze, turning to Jim. "I'm okay." He said quietly.

"Show it to us." Daryl demanded, tightening his grip on the pickaxe in his hand. The men began to circle Jim, like a pack of wild dogs. Intent on seeing his wound. Jim grabbed a shovel, holding it in front of him defensively. T-dog managed to grip Jim from behind enough for Shane to force the shovel from his hand and lift his shirt. Revealing a nasty bite.