chapter 8 - invisible string

Harry

Harry

I walk into the bar and see Matt sitting there waiting for me. This is our weekly tradition, we meet at this bar that's around the corner from the shop and we talk about the events that unfolded, drinking our sorrows away. It's a small dive bar, it has a 360-degree bar and tables surrounding it for extra seating. The warm lighting that comes from Edison-style light bulbs usually washes away all of my problems but not this time. As soon as Matti and I make contact he waves me over. I make my way over to him, sit down, and order a bourbon.

"A Bourbon?" Matt asks, pausing in between his words. "A girl got you down H?" The corners of his mouth turn up into a smirk.

"Something like that, yeah," I say, looking down at my drink, and swirling it around.

"Well, tell me about her! Not every day a girl gets Mr. Player in his feels." Matt playfully punches my shoulder.

I roll my eyes, I don't know where that nickname even came from. I was never a player. More like the complete opposite. But gosh, what could I say about her? I don't know her that well even though I wish I did. But I just have to remember what Maddie said. "You have to be patient with her. She has been dealt a shit hand in life so far."

"I don't know man. That's the thing, I don't know much about her besides the fact that she's best friends with Maddie and she just moved from Wisconsin."

"Ohhh, Maddie huh? I like that girl." He says, with that devilish smirk returning to his lips.

"Uh uh. What'd I say about Maddie? She's like a sister to me so she's off limits." I scold him.

"Okay okay. I was just messing with ya. Anyway. Has Madie said anything about her? Maybe you can get some kind of knowledge from her." He suggests, not knowing I already tried that.

"I've tried that. She said that Alora is a very closed-off person because she's been through some shit back home." I sigh, heavily, downing the rest of my drink before slamming it down on the bar. The bartender comes over to grab my glass, refilling it quickly.

We sit in silence for a little bit until Matt slams his hands on the bar, making me jump from my thoughts.

"I've got an idea. So you said you asked her out on a date right?" His question makes me raise an eyebrow and signal him to continue.

"Well, my mom made me watch this movie with Camilla Mendes which is the only reason I even agreed to watch it. I mean have you seen that woman? She's so fucking ho-"

"Matt, get to the point," I cut him off.

"Right. Sorry. Anyway, there was a scene where her love interest took her to his garage and he had huge canvases set up with buckets of water balloons next to them. And he tells her this story about how throwing the water balloons at the canvases helps him with his rage after his parents got divorced so she gives it a shot. She ends up loving it and they get into a paint fight and it ends in a big makeout scene. Now, I'm not saying you and Alora have to makeout but it could be a good way for her to get her rage out and channel all of her problems through it."