Chapter one: Meeting her

A gentle breeze blew around Bolaji Oladele as he sat down on the soft green grass. Staring at the stars above the dark sky in the middle of the night, it was truly a beautiful sight. A single thought kept playing in his mind, the thought of the sophisticated lady he had met at the company during the day. It was just like a small breeze blowing past him, he immediately knew she was the one and as he gazed into her eyes he knew she felt it, too. Even though they both knew, they didn’t speak to each like there was this small chasm between them that couldn’t be crossed and just like that they brushed past each other, going their separate ways. He didn’t know how to explain it, but it felt like they were just meant for each other, like meeting a loved one from a past life.

Bolaji came out to clear his thoughts after a very stressful day, he was supposed to be on a break but he still managed to get himself stranded with work checking out one of their newly acquired site. Right now, his initial purpose of coming outside was proving to be useless because he couldn’t stop thinking about her. It was getting a little chilly outside so Bolaji decided to head inside, he wasn’t getting anything done and the mosquitoes were killing him.

‘’Honestly, how I thought I was going to get anything sorted out is unclear in itself. Thinking about this isn’t going to get anything done.’’ He mumbled to himself as he tried to get up. Bolaji pushed himself up, brushed dirt from his body with his hands, and began walking towards the house.

Thinking wasn’t going to get anything done but that’s all he could now.
Bolaji’s compound was quite big, a large portion of the land was covered with trees and freshly mowed carpet grass. Bolaji had elected to stay close to the house since it was late. There were lamps in the compound, so it was quite well lit. As he was walking, he could see everything around him very clearly. Everything was quiet except for the occasional chirping of crickets. Usually, on a night like this, he would take a walk around the compound to clear his head. That doesn’t seem to be working out tonight.                                                                     
The house itself was located right in the middle of the compound. It was storey building facing north with a pathway leading to the gate and another one that branched to his garage. He has a little area in front of the house which was filled with interlocked bricks, large enough for cars to be parked. The house was dimly lit, with the light showing only through the windows downstairs, the upper part was dark since no light was on.

Bolaji entered the house and was heading to his bedroom upstairs to get some much needed sleep, but stopped after thinking for a moment, he decided to call his friend. Kareem would be sleeping now and doesn’t like being woken up from sleep, especially this late but Bolaji couldn’t wait. Bolaji needed to sleep too and he wasn’t sure he would be able to get one with his thoughts running wild.
He walked over to his phone, which was sitting on the huge sofa, and dialled Kareem’s number. It rang for a while before Kareem eventually picked. ‘’Hello?’’ he answered groggily still half asleep. You could hear the slight annoyed undertone of his strong voice. He was not very happy being woken up.

Smiling a bit, he replied ‘’Hey, it’s me. I am sorry for calling at this time, but I really need your advice.’’

‘’ Bolaji? I didn’t check the name because I was busy sleeping.’’ There was an emphasis on the sleeping to let him know he wasn’t pleased, but Bolaji could hear the sound of bed creaking, indicating he was already sitting up.

Chuckling Bolaji said, ‘’Hey, come on. I said I was sorry.’’ Bolaji really was sorry, but couldn’t help but feel amused at his friend’s understandable annoyance. After all, he knew how much he hated being woken from sleep at any time of the day.

Kareem Agbaje sighed, ‘’Okay, okay, so what is the problem that couldn’t wait until morning?’’ Kareem finally said, now fully awake. Bolaji could hear the change in his voice.