26. rise

"So I guess the table's turned. For the first time I can't find the words."

Forgetting about the disaster of Saturday night was easier than Kellin Quinn expected. He was pretty good at ignoring things that weren't important and, as usual, he didn't need much to bury everything that happened then. Life went on as it usually did, and a couple of days later, everything was back to normal again. Vic never mentioned anything else about it either, so Kellin wouldn't ask. He focused all his senses on work instead, and it was alright. For the most part.

His job had become more tiring. Ever since the budget incident, Kellin vowed to work as hard as he could so that something like that wouldn't happen ever again. He was putting in the hours and even overtime if they needed him there. He was working with more clients and taking on exciting projects that had him as busy as he could get. He didn't mind.

Kellin was only trying to get rid of the—fake—guilt that still invaded him over what happened. That was just how his brain worked, unfortunately. He knew the entire thing was forgotten by now, the agency's daily life was way too hectic to focus on such a small mishap like his and he was silently grateful for that, but still. Everyone was over it, except him.

And either way, working was what he loved doing most and he'd continue doing his job as best as he could, even when he had to work with Louisa again. He still hated her and that wasn't going to change, but he was also a professional so he didn't let her childish ways get in the way of his projects.

On Tuesday morning, after the fatal party weekend, Kellin got a peculiar email from his boss Phoebe. It didn't exactly say the reason for the meeting she was inviting him to, but Kellin quickly noticed that it was at the same time as another client meeting. He wondered if Phoebe's was just as important, but considering she sent an official email and everything, he headed over to her office to ask her about it.

Luckily, she was there when he knocked on the glass door and she motioned for him to come in with a smile.

"You must have got my email," she beat him to it while she typed on her laptop.

"Yeah," Kellin chuckled. And then he explained the problem.

"Oh, then we could have it before that," Phoebe said nonchalantly. "It won't take long I promise."

Kellin raised his eyebrows but nodded after. "Alright... Can I know what it is about?"

Phoebe looked at him and smiled. "Just to go over the reports. Don't worry."

That didn't satisfy his curiosity at all, yet getting the hint that she wouldn't say anything else, he dismissed himself and headed back to his desk. He had a lot of work to do and plan.

——

Kellin's mornings hadn't changed much. Or at all. His sleeping schedule hadn't been better, but he was glad it hadn't worsened. Some mornings he still lost sleep at 4 am, some mornings he was able to sleep until his alarm went off, and on some other rare occasions, Penny was the one to wake him up, way too excited for the day ahead of her.

This morning was one of those rare times.

The good thing about it though, was that Kellin always woke up with a smile, and it always set the tone for the remainder of their day. Once he felt the weight of his kid on top of him, he knew his day wouldn't be that bad. Seeing her smile with all her baby teeth and giggle and kiss his entire face affectionately made his chest glow with love. How could he have a bad day if such an adorable human being existed?