003

Evelyn felt like she and Percy were on their way to becoming friends (though after capture the flag, she wasn't so sure), but she wasn't sure if she would be the best choice for his quest.

She couldn't believe Chiron chose her as a candidate for Percy's quest. Compared to everyone else standing here, she was the least capable. She knew that there were better options there. Like Luke, Annabeth, even Clarisse. They had all better traits she didn't have; stronger, smarter, and they were more cautious than she was.

"The Oracle has confirmed what we expected, that this quest will proceed toward the Underworld, where you will confront the god who has reviled against his brothers," Chiron explained. "Hades. The entrance to Hades' domain lies under the city of Los Angeles. This is where you will journey to. Time is short. Now usually, a quest-hero should only have two companions. However, an expectation shall be made this time. I have selected our most compelling candidates, from which you will choose three to join you on this quest and ensure that we succeed."

"Evelyn," Percy called out and her head snapped up in shock. Out of everyone else here, she didn't think that she would be chosen. Percy sent her a small smile, so maybe Evelyn was overthinking that friendship thing.

"Customarily, one waits to at least hear a name or two before choosing." Chiron told him. "Are you sure you don't wanna hear more?"

"This thing, Zeus's master bolt, we need to get it back, right?" Percy questioned. 

"Yes."

"And it's gonna be hard to get, yes?" He asked. 

"Extraordinarily."

Percy looked at Evelyn, "And if the mission required someone to push me down a flight of stairs for it to succeed... you'd want someone who won't hesitate when they do it. And someone who would also help you up always." Percy explained as he didn't break eye contact with Evelyn once.

Chiron then turned to the others. "The first quest-mate shall be Evelyn Nolan."

A soft smile appeared on her lips and she nodded.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Percy and Grover stood watching Annabeth at Thalia's tree, with Evelyn standing near her.

"You good?" Evelyn asked, as Annabeth laid a hand on the tree trunk.

"Yeah, it's just..." Annabeth sighed, "Last time I went on a quest, only three came back." She turned back to Evelyn, and Evelyn could see the worry Annabeth had on her face.

Evelyn put her hand on Annabeth's shoulder, "Listen, it won't be like last time." She squeezed Annabeth's shoulder in reassurance, "I won't let it happen." She looked back at the two boys standing a few feet away, "Come on. We should get going."

Annabeth nodded, and the two girls walked over to them. They caught what Percy's and Grover's conversation was about.

"So, at the last moment... Zeus intervened to save her life and... changed her form." Grover said

"The most powerful being in the universe's best idea to save his daughter's life... was to turn her into a tree?" Percy questioned.

"She was the bravest demigod I ever knew," Annabeth told him as she and Evelyn stood in front of them. "She fought valiantly, and she met a hero's fate."

"She met a pinecone's fate," The blonde boy remarked.

Evelyn chided him softly, "Don't say that." She never knew Thalia but she knew that the girl was an incredible person. Hearing her be praised by Annabeth and Luke.