42. The Boathouse.

I find myself walking down the several twisting flights of stairs down towards the boathouse. it's a still, dry morning; just after breakfast, I'd woken early and left Tom to sleep peacefully, as difficult for me as it was.

The excitement from last night still bubbles like a freshly brewed amortentia potion about to boil over. There is a new look in Tom's eyes since, too, a good look. It makes me quiver with exhilaration.

When I get to the bottom of the stairs, I tug hard at the door to pull it open. Within the boathouse is pleasantly empty as I scan around for a good place to sit.

I settle on the middle edge of the dock that looks out onto the lake, pulling some jam sandwiches I'd put together at breakfast from my satchel.

I wonder if my progress with Tom will actually make a difference in the long run. Will he bin his evil plans for the future? It bothers me that the only way I can find out is to wait for everything to play out by itself.

I tear a chunk from my sandwich with my fingers before plopping it into my mouth, setting the sandwich on the paper bag beside me. I pull out a book from my satchel as I swallow the chunk, and I've just found my page when the door creaks open.

When I turn my head to see who it is, I immediately feel my chest lighten with excitement as the blond approaches.

"Hey, N/n," He offers a sort of half smile as he speaks, his lips tugged to one side, "it's been a while since we've spoken, how are you doing?"

I ponder for a moment, the events of the past couple of days flickering through my mind so that I flush pink.

"Quite good, I think." I turn back up to look at him, and he sits down beside me, fixing a few strands of my hair behind my ear on the way.

"How lovely to hear," He smiles, turning to look out across the lake.

"What of you?" I ask, studying his side profile and the way his nose arches out before dropping down, just slightly.

He seems to ponder for a bit before he replies, "Well, my parents are threatening to send me to a different school because my grades have been dropping recently, but other than that, quite splendid." He rubs the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Well, is there a reason your grades are declining? Can you talk to your parents about it?"

He scoffs lightly, a bitter half-smile on his lips, "They're not really the type to talk things out. No matter, I'll figure things out. Well, the ball is coming up. Are you looking forward to that?"

"Well, yes, I suppose so, though I do need to figure out what I'll be wearing.." I admit, sheepishly.

"Do you have a date quite yet?" He asks, turning to look at the side of my face, which I return with a glance.

Do I? Tom and I had been practicing the dance together, and well, just a few things have happened since then. My face reddens again as I recall our kiss against the railing of the astronomy tower.

"W-well, yes, I assume I'll be going with Tom.." I stutter, fixing my hair in the breeze.

"You assume?"

I huff, staring down into the water, "W-well, you see..." I hesitate, wondering if Tom would like me telling people about our wonderful moment.

"Umm...It's complicated, I don't know," I ponder for a moment. Maybe Abe is asking because he might be interested in asking me to go with him. I scramble to clear things up, scraping around in my mind for SOMETHING to blurt out.

"W-well, it's such a complication that I would... be hesitant... t-to accept another's invitation at this point.. if you understand," I cringe to myself, hoping that my jumbled sentences were somewhat discernable to him.

"Huh..." He smirks down at me, "Whatever in Salazar's name is going on between you two?"

I turn away, desperate to escape his pointed gaze, "I rather think that it's none of your business at the minute."

He chuckles, "Very well then. I must be on my way, I hope the rest of your day is as wonderful as you are," He grins as he ruffles my hair, standing up to leave.

"Oh shut up," I whack his trouser leg in embarrassment, earning an amused chuckle in return.

"Catch you later, Y/n," He calls out, sauntering through the door.

"See you," I reply.

I spend a while longer reading before I become uncomfortable, sitting at the edge of the dock, so I decide that it's time to move along.

Just as I've finished gathering my things and am about to pull open the heavy wooden door, it's opened before me instead, and the person who rushes inside near bowls me over.

I take an eager step back, rubbing at my cheek where one of their badges had prodded at my face before I look up to see Tom brushing himself off while he apologizes.

"My apologies, I was unaware that you were leaving," He mumbles, reaching to brush a crumble of dirt from the shoulder of my cloak.

"Not a worry, Tom," I smile up at him, fixing my book into my satchel.

He seems to hesitate before every sentence he speaks to me, examining my face with care.

"Is everything okay?" I inquire, ushering him in so he can close the door behind him.

"I-- w-well, yes, of course, why do you ask?" He replies quickly, stepping further into the boathouse.

"You're not particularly acting like yourself," I murmur, reaching to fix his crooked tie, though I stop when he flinches at my movement.

"Well, I erm... I suppose I'm lost at how I should act around you and... how I should treat you after last night... and well, after you left this morning without notice, I've been having rather contradicting thoughts." He takes my hand, closing the distance between my fingers and his chest, telling me that he's not uncomfortable with my touch.

"I didn't want to disturb you. You looked so peaceful," I admit, pulling his tie to the side to correct it. "And there's no need to treat me any differently than you did before. There's nothing to worry about," I assure him.

He takes a step towards me, standing over me so that I'm cast in his shadow, lifting my chin by the tips of his fingers, "What if I want to treat you differently?" He whispers against my cheek, his breath brushing against my ear.

"W-well, do you?" I ask quietly, feeling my face heat up as it spreads to my ears and down my neck. I feel his hand slowly slip, fingers trailing down my chin, down my neck, resting in the place where my neck ends, and my shoulder starts. He snakes the fingers of his other hand into the hair on the back of my neck, making sure that I can't look anywhere but him.

His hand slides from my shoulder to rest around my neck as he says, "Might I?"

I don't even know what to say. Of course I want him to, I want him to so badly that I can't even think it right now.

The sky darkens, and a gust of wind billows into the boathouse, making the boats toss on the water and knock against the dock.

Tom never falters, as much as I struggle to form the words on my tongue.

He leans close, lips wet against my earlobe to whisper, "Will you let me, pretty girl?" and I feel myself shiver as my knees grow weak and my breath hitches, and I can't even think straight. Why is he acting like this? I mean, I am DEFINITELY not complaining, but I can't help but wonder.

"Use your words, Y/n," He murmurs, resting his forehead against mine.

The anticipation bubbles and bursts and in the same moment, I'm gripping his tie, pulling him closer to me, "For the love of Merlin, just kiss me already!"

With that, the energy changes drastically and I'm catching his lips between my teeth as he pushes me back against the wall and he's eagerly tasting every inch of my mouth as he traces my body with his slender, hasteful hands, and I'm burying my fingers into his hair, pulling him as close as I possibly can and I can't hear anything over our heavy breathing, and I can't bring myself to care either.

All that matters in this moment is him.