Chapter 12-Explanation

Hi all, I'm back!! I'd just like to thank you all for sticking with me, but I also have something important to say here. If you actually live in London, or anywhere in England and you're rolling your eyes because something that one of the characters from The Torch are saying things that wouldn't normally be said over there, or if it would be phrased differently please send me a PM (not a comment in the chapter, but a PM. I want to get these things as close to accurate as I can, so if something doesn't seem right, just send me a message and let me know. I'll do my best to try and fix it. thank you so much.

*****************

My heart was pounding so hard that I could feel as well as hear the beating in my ears. Like my eardrums were going to the same beat. She knew that I hadn't done my best, she had the proof right there on camera. I couldn't believe that I hadn't thought of something like this happening. 

I didn't know what to do, I couldn't think straight, I couldn't speak, I was completely frozen in place. My eyes were wide in horror staring straight into the eyes of Steele. I'd been caught and I had no idea how things were going to go from this moment out. It was a crapshoot on what the result would be. My only hope was that if things went south, I had the skills to make it out alive and back to Jared. 

When faced with this now, I was glad that I had given into him that morning. I'd left him with his one wish, I'd given him the thing he'd wanted since we'd started this new life. If that was the last thing I could do for him-

"Well, Jacobson?" Steele said sternly. Her mouth pulled into a frown and Isaac was looking at me quizzically. He had no idea what was going on, the only one out of the loop. 

"I...I"

"You what? Think carefully, because we don't take well to liars or traitors. We brought you into our family here. We thought you'd be a valuable asset, and that we could help supply you with guidance. If we were wrong, let us know now. You may still have the chance to walk out of here. If you're trying to cross us though..." She didn't finish, leaving her threat open-ended, which didn't go unnoticed. 

I could see a deadly look in her eye. It was something that I'd seen in Klarke, only with Steele it was more prominent. Klarke was cold, calculative, manipulative, but somehow the look in Steele's gaze was ten times worse. 

"My name isn't Eliza Jacobson," I whispered. 

I wanted to kick myself for speaking up, but at this point I didn't see any other choice. I could try to run for it, but chances were that either of them could stop me before I got to the door. Even if by some miracle I made it to the door before them, it could be locked. Even if it weren't locked, there were people all throughout this facility and there was no way I would make it outside. Steele would have people on me before I made it back to the sparring room. 

"Then what is your name?" I couldn't judge her tone, and I couldn't bring myself to look into her eyes. I couldn't bring myself to look at anyone because these next words would be just as much of a shock to them as it had been to me when I found out the names of a few operatives working within these very walls. 

"My name is Electra Jaeger and I'm from The Organization in the United States."

Everything went so fast I didn't have time to process until the chair I was sitting in was leaning on its back legs and there was a firm grasp around my throat. I was forced to look into the dark eyes of Steele. I couldn't see anything past her face. I had no idea where Isaac was, how he'd taken the news, or if he'd even heard me. 

"What are you doing here? Why did they send you?"

I wasn't sure I could speak with her hand constricting my airway. I stretched my neck trying to find some way to open the passage and suck in more air but nothing helped.