Chapter 26

"You know," I said when we were halfway back, "The Torch has some of the weirdest allies."

"They're only allies to the right people. Most of them hate hunters, hate Klarke. That group I sent you to would have killed you on the spot for what you are."

"Yeah, thanks for that one." I grumbled. 

"I knew you could handle yourself. I've seen you fight. I've seen you not fight." He gave me a sideways glance, reminding me of how I threw the initial exams. 

"So what, these are friends of the Underground Torch?"

"You could say that."

"Why have you opened up and told me these things. I could be a liability. I could go and tell Klarke everything you've said."

"You could," Isaac nodded. "But you won't."

"And how do you know that?"

"I'm a sensitive. And I've seen how you behave. You have a werewolf boyfriend, you ran away from your home because of it. You broke down when you had to torture that wolf. You're not going to tell Klarke anything. You have too much to lose."

It was like he knew me better than I knew myself. I wasn't going to tell Klarke anything, it could reveal me just as easily, and Isaac had a loaded gun with my name on it even if I did. 

The car pulled into the tunnel and Isaac parked close to the entrance. 

"Now go be a good little soldier. You need it more than I did, and that witch fucked with your head to get it."

"Like I need reminded," I grumbled as I got out of the car. 

The security took one look and let me pass without going through the hassle of screening. They knew me by now, almost everyone did. I felt like I was slowly working my way up to teacher's pet and I hated it. All this yes sir, of course sir, how high sir, was bugging the crap out of me, but I couldn't stop. I had to stay on Klarke's good side. At least until I had a way to get back to Jared and out of here, or a way to take him down. 

I rounded the corner, making a few more turns before I was standing outside of Klarke's office. 

"Well do it better!" A phone slammed down and I froze. 

Did I really want to go in there? Oh just do it you coward. How bad could it be?

I knocked on the door frame, peeking through the crack of the opening. 

"What is it?" Klarke yelled.

Okay, really bad. It could be really bad. 

"I-uh-we found the pack, sir," I stuttered. I smoothed my hands over my shirt, swallowing the bit of fear. "They're organizing another attack. They'll be ready in three days."

Klarke pulled the door open. His eyes glared down at me, but there was something else, excitement? No. I'd seen that in my father's eyes. Anytime he was proud of something I'd done or said but just wouldn't say it out loud. I'd gotten good at discerning those looks from him. It was the only time I knew I'd done something well. 

"Then we'll need to act fast. First thing in the morning. It's late and most everyone has left. You said three days?"

"Yes, sir." 

"Then yes, first thing in the morning." Klarke shut the door, dismissing me. Just that easy. 

I couldn't believe he wanted to wait until the morning. He had been ready to pounce on them earlier, he'd wanted the information within the week, and now he wants to wait until morning when we know exactly where they are.