Chapter 18

We sat in the van as the rest of the team pulled in around us. I had started counting at first, but had since lost count as black van after black van filed in. It was like the entire Torch had come along for this hunt, and they very well could have, especially if they'd been after this pack all these years. Who knew how large it was, and there was strength in numbers.

With the addition of each van, my nerves climbed higher. There was a chance this would be a blood bath. I had no idea what the skill set of this pack was, but it was safe to assume they were more dangerous than anything I'd faced before. 

It was a war emotions under my calm exterior. Anxiety, fear, doubt, it was all roiling around inside. I kept my eyes straight forward, my breathing even, and my body still. I looked like the epitome of calm from the outside, but this was the first time I'd worried like this since my first hunts with my father. 

"Just relax, worrying isn't going to help at all."

I tilted my head, raising one eyebrow as I looked to Isaac. How in the world was he able to tell I was worrying. I wasn't giving off any signs.

"I'm not worried," I said, trying to dismiss his assumption. 

"Yes you are, I can tell. I can feel it."

"How can you feel it?"

Isaac gave me a blank stare as if I should know just how he knew. 

"Because I'm a Jaeger, and the Jaegers are sensitives."

"Sensitives?" I swallowed hard. What in the world did he mean. All the Jaegers?

"We are able to pick up on certain things such as emotions or lies. We're more aware of the people around us and what they're feeling or thinking."

My mouth went dry. This had to be some sort of joke. 

"So the Jaegers are supernaturals?" I tried to make my voice as even as possible, but I could hear the choked ending. I just hoped that no one else picked up on it as well. 

"Not supernatural. We don't have any gifts per se. We can pick up on the feelings and thoughts of others, but that's the extent of it. There aren't any special abilities. Some believe it's a sense left over from witches as if we were descended long ago from them. Others think it's just a trait some humans are born with. I'm not really explaining this right; it just happens to be something present throughout the entire Jaeger line." Isaac's voice sounded normal, as if he was explaining a math equation to a student. Even then he was making sure he didn't say anything, or say it in a way that would give me away. His expression was completely different though, he was confused that I didn't already know this. I was a Jaeger after all, yet I didn't know about this ability we supposedly had. Then I realized, my knowledge of what that expression meant within him must be tied in to that sensitive ability. 

Maybe what he said was true. He had seemed to answer my unspoken thoughts or worries after Klarke had left, and I'd had the knack for being able to tell what Jared was thinking and feeling. Our family was even exceptionally good at telling when others were lying. Maybe, just maybe, we were sensitives like Isaac said. He didn't really have a reason to lie. But why hadn't I known about it before? Why hadn't our father said anything to us?

"Jaeger, Jacobson, it's time to go. Get the wolf out, but keep the collar on him in case he tries anything," Klarke's voice came over the ear piece.

I checked to make sure all the weapons were in place before I got out and went to the back of the van, opening the door and unlocking the lock that kept Thomas firmly in place. 

"You know that if you've lied to us or if you've set us up, you're dead."

"That man made it perfectly clear in your ear," Thomas spat.