7

Several days of staying in a cheap motel, lying in an uncomfortable bed with a disgusting floral patterned spread had Jynx antsy. She had stared at the ceiling for what seemed like years, casting the charm that filled the room with tiny bright lights. They would twinkle and dissipate and she would repeat the spell.

She wondered what had happened in the alley between Severus and Demitri, though she couldn't be bothered to find out. She expected she would continue running, though she had nowhere to go. No safe haven from the two sides that were vying for her help.

Perhaps she should read Dumbledore, the old wizard must have had some great need to seek her out. Another wave of her wand brought more lights, they were so beautiful in the damp landscape of the moldy room.

The spread of the bed was stained and it was obvious it was as old as the motel. The furniture was just as ancient, a relic of times long passed. There was a musty odor in the air, like the room held the scent of everyone who had ever entered it.

Jynx twisted her wand between her fingers as the lights danced above her, remembering how her body felt wrapped around Severus. Perhaps she had been too harsh, too hasty. No, she was sure she hadn't.

She was still seething over Demitri's deception. She had spent more than a decade mourning someone who had never died, only for him to try to use her.

A soft knock sounded on the motel door, pieces of chipped red paint fluttered to the floor. No one knew where she was, and she still had a day paid up. She didn't answer. The blinds were drawn over the small window next to the door but she could see shadows on the other side. Muffled voices were whispering. "Jynx?"

She trained her wand on the door, waiting for whoever was on the other side to attempt to get in. Had Demitri told some of their old acquaintances where he found her? Had he thrown her to the wolves? Until Severus had found her, she thought she was untraceable. That she had been forgotten about. Now it seemed she had been anything but.

Another knock. Jynx slid off the bed, walking on the balls of her feet toward the door. She looked through the peephole, but she didn't recognize the faces on the other side. Then one of the shadows from the window reappeared near the door, in the wide angle of the peephole it was hard to discern details but there was no mistaking Greyback. His black eyes stared back at her through the small round glass eye. His teeth were clenched, his fangs bared. Jynx threw the few belongings she had littered around the room back into her suitcase. They shouted her name again but she was already gone.

She found herself outside the gates of Hogwarts, staring up at the spires that were reaching toward the sky. The castle seemed to be waiting for her in the distance, looming over her decision. She still did not want to read Dumbledore, but she also was not willing to read any of her former associates.

She knew what they wanted from her, but she didn't know why. After all this time, why now?

Jynx took the first steps through the gate and almost turned around. Her stomach plummeted and her chest tightened as if she had fallen off a cliff. She inhaled deeply, hoping it would help her relax but the tension remained in her shoulders.

She was greeted at the door by Severus, a white bandage was plastered across his nose and she could see slight bruising. "What happened?"

"Demitri and I had a civilized conversation, this is from something else entirely," he said, gesturing to his nose.

"Why didn't you heal it?"

"It's a reminder."

She didn't press, it made no difference to her. "I came to see Dumbledore."

Severus placed a hand on her face, his eyes looking at her as if she were a rare ingredient for one of his precious potions. She placed her hand on his and removed it from her, placing it back at his side.