Chapter 25

Ebony did stay to dinner; though, the look on her face showed that she had protested it earnestly. Jealousy grew stronger within the eldest lads' hearts as she took her place in the coveted chair which they all fought for. Yet, Copper strove against those feelings of envy and dislike.

With the woman there, Copernicus's mind went back to his past. Aunt May had been the loveliest lady he had ever known, and her memory had given him a feeling of respect toward women. It had been her sweetness and beauty which had made him build fantastic imaginations of his mother. It had been her influence which had caused him to regard even Mrs. Hannover with humble respect. Surely, he owed Ebony that same respect too. He gathered some chivalry and prepared to be kind to her.

All the other children attacked their meal in their usual manner. They tore the baked chicken limb from limb and plunged their dirty spoons into the gravy bowl. Ebony wanted to scream and run away. But instead, she clung to Mordechai tighter, terror-struck.

"Madame," Copper began politely, "I'll help you get whatever you'd like on your plate."

Ebony recoiled from him. "You think I would let you touch my plate?" she shrieked. Mordechai gave her hand a squeeze that seemed to bring her back to her senses. "That is...thank you, child; no."

"Our friend, Ebony, is not accustomed to our ways, my lad," Mordechai excused, seeing the cloud of offence on Copper's brow. "But fret not about that. She will soon get used to us and be as cheerful as anyone here. Won't you, precious?"

"Of course," the lady hissed through her teeth. Then she looked at Mordechai with a cringe, silently begging him for a way out of this awful situation.

"You wicked man, this was all a miserable joke, wasn't it?" she whispered to him.

"I gave you fair warning," he replied, speaking softly so the children couldn't hear.

"Fair warning? You told me that boys will be boys and to expect some lively behavior! You did not tell me that they would smell like sewer rats! And look at them with their dirty hands in everything! I tell you, I will not put a crumb from this table in my mouth!"

"Darling, darling, where is your faith in me?" Mordechai asked calmingly. "But of course, I did not expect you to eat along with these savages. Your own meal will come presently, and you will see that you are the first, the only thing, on my mind! Don't frown, beauty. You must make these boys adore you as I do."

She failed at that miserably. But her withering faith in Mordechai was restored part way when Bob emerged from the back rooms, surprisingly clean and tidy looking, with a china plate decked with sumptuous food. It was artfully displayed, as if it had come from the grandest restaurant in the world. And when Bob laid it on the table, he did it with a bow.

"I hope it is to your liking, Madame," he spoke. To the shock of all, his voice was clear and dignified.

"Hey Bob, when did you go all posh?" Gibbs blurted.

Bob gave a big shrug and shook his head. "I dunno, Boss," he answered, as amazed as the rest of them. "Seems I used t' say somefin' like that t' somebody important once. But blimey, I can't 'member who!" He left Ebony to pick tentatively at her meal. It was without doubt, her food was fit for a queen.

For the rest of the evening, the boys tried to understand the woman whom their father loved. But they couldn't. It was clear from the look in her eyes that she hated them, and yet she tried to feign some kindness. When any of them came near, she stuffed her hanky against her nose and looked at them with fear.