Chapter 11

Charlie expected everything to go as usual when he got home. He stumbled wearily to the bakery's door and pushed himself inside, dropping his basket and wet umbrella behind the main desk.

"Well, there's one of you," Henry remarked, looking at his son and then glancing out of the window. "Where's the other one?"

"He'll be along," the boy answered with a yawn. "And he will be wet because the silly simpleton didn't bring an umbrella."

"Ain't got no brains, that kid," Mr. Hannover grumbled, shaking his head. "I don't know why I keep him. He's too stupid to make a good baker."

Charlie frowned, more out of pity than frustration. He could call Copper stupid all day long if he wished; both he and Copernicus knew it was only a tease. But it always made him feel sorry when other people insulted the little fellow.

"He really is a fine chap, Copernicus is," Charlie ventured. His eyes looked at his father's face, begging for a kind response.

Henry's countenance softened a little. "Hmm. So he is," he consented, "most of the time. Only, I have my reasons to worry about the boy's outcome. He isn't like us, you know. Poor, lowborn child. If I can keep him from goin' wrong before he's eighteen, perhaps I'll feel a bit easier about him. In any case, go along to your mother and then off to bed. I'll be here till the boy gets back."

Quite satisfied with the plan, Charlie went to have his supper and then tumbled into bed. He fell asleep immediately, and several lovely hours passed by. Then the sound of heavy footsteps stomping up the stairs made the boy wake with a start.

Henry stood in the doorway. Exhausted bags hung under his eyes, and his clothes were damp. He looked as if he had been wrung through the wringer, and he still hadn't gotten a wink of sleep. Suddenly, Charlie realized that it was broad daylight, and he was still alone in his room.

"Father!" he exclaimed in alarm. "What's wrong? Where is Copernicus?"

"I've looked high and low for him, and I haven't seen so much as a glimpse of him, Charlie," Mr. Hannover sighed. "Better get yourself dressed and start searchin'. I'll need some extra eyes on the lookout."

Charlie scrambled out of bed and threw his clothes on with fumbling haste. The feeling of deep, frightened worry in his heart was almost astonishing. He had hardly expected to feel so concerned about his father's troublesome apprentice, but he did. Copper was his only friend. Without him, what would he do? Who would he laugh with? Who would he tease and ridicule?

He must be found! he thought, slapping his cap on his head and running downstairs. As he reached the front door and grabbed an umbrella, he heard his family talking anxiously.

"Oh mercy! What do you think became of the lad?" Mrs. Hannover asked breathlessly.

Henry heaved a deep sigh. "I don't know, love," he replied, quickly trading his wet coat for a dry one. "He may have been kidnapped, or he may have gotten himself hurt and been taken off to a hospital by some kind person."

"Hurt! Oh, perish the thought!" the woman wept. "Poor little dear!"

"We'll hope the young blighter's only run off," Henry concluded. "Wish me luck, dear. When I find the boy, he'll be cold and famished. You'd best warm his blankets and make a bit of soup."

"A bit of soup!" Mrs. Hannover repeated frantically. "Henry, we ain't even got a joint of meat in the house! The way business has been goin' I've hardly dared to spend a farthin'! What am I to do?"