Chapter 14

When the ham had been devoured and every plate licked clean, Mordechai rose to his feet. To Copper's surprise, the loud, rambunctious crowd fell instantly silent again. No matter how wild the party was, it always came to a sudden standstill the minute their father rose.

"Well, gentlemen," the man began, looking at the greasy fingered, messy children, "after that very dignified dinner party, I believe it is high time for a few merriments, don't you?"

Copper thought the very undignified dinner had been merrier than anything he had ever experienced before. But the other lads cheered in excitement.

A self-important kind of smile made Gibbs's lips twitch upward. "Right! Follow me, lads!" he commanded. Then, shoving away from the table, he hurried out of the door, and all of the children raced after him.

Copernicus hesitated in bewilderment. He still hardly felt safe among those mad, rowdy boys. He cast a questioning glance toward Mr. Dross before rising from the table. "I dunno what their doin', Mr..." A particular look from his guardian made him stop and catch himself. With a smile and laugh he corrected himself, "I meant to say 'Father'."

This drew a very satisfied smile from Mordechai. "You are nervous, my son," he noted quietly. "I understand." He leaned close to the lad and whispered in a joking chuckle, "Between you and me, those brothers of yours are just like a throng of monkeys, aren't they? Come along, admit it! You thought so yourself!"

Copper couldn't help grinning in confirmation. "They ain't got much in the way of manners!" he laughed confidentially.

"Indeed not! They are all roughhewn and untamed, nothing like you in that respect. I have never seen a young man so hopeful, so refined, so superior in every way as you are."

The well-aimed flattery didn't miss its mark. Copper felt a surge of pride and happiness fill him. "Really?" he asked, amazed. "Nobody's ever said things like that to me before—nobody!"

"Ah, pity," his new father mourned, clicking his tongue and shaking his head. "What cold hearts they must have. But mine is not cold. With me, you will see all of your dreams come to reality. My dear, beloved son." Mordechai's arms wrapped around the little boy, and Copernicus could have wept all over again thinking about the hopeful change his life had taken.

After a second, Mordechai got back down to business and let the lad go. "Now," he began quickly, "having said all that, I must give you one last word before we join the others. Your brothers may be ill-behaved, unrefined—atrocious at times! And you are far above them, no doubt. But here in this house, we have a rule never to judge one another. I don't confine my children in a box of rules destined to be broken. Why would I? If their own natures are disinclined to follow those rules, who am I to force them to? You are all free! Free to become and to behave in whatever manner is natural to you! There, enough said. Come with me now! Your brothers will want your company."

With that, Mordechai gave a fantastic swish of his long, flowing coat, and the gust of wind it caused blew out all three candles in the room. Copper was both startled and delighted. He also might have felt afraid because the windowless dining room had suddenly become pitch black, but he felt Mordechai take his hand and lead him safely out.

All of the other children had gathered in the main room and were pulling on filthy jackets near the front door. Copper inched toward the crowd uncertainly, wondering what the lads were about to do and whether it would be safe to join their throng. But he was given no choice in the matter. A second later, Gibbs threw the door open, one of the boys looped his arm chummily through Copper's, and the newcomer was drawn away by the cheerful crowd.