Chapter 21

They wove their way down streets and alleys, treading quietly. They were a completely different seeming crowd from the one which had laughed and shouted and played in the mansion. As they walked at a brisk pace, they hardly spoke a word to each other, and the elder boys often cast a wary glance all around them.

"Father," Copernicus began, feeling a slight tingle of uneasiness. "What exactly do we do?"

Mordechai drew him close with one arm and pulled Porgy near with his other. "Hush now. We mustn't speak too loudly. Usually, we don't speak at all on our way to work."

"Why?" Porgy blurted, heedless of his father's command. He felt Mordechai's hand give his shoulder a sharp squeeze as a warning.

"First of all, because I said so," the man stated. All the charm and endearment had faded from his voice leaving it cold, harsh, and severe. "You must obey your father! Secondly," he added, trying to soften his tone, "it is because men are so very cruel and evil." Copernicus looked up at him questioningly, begging the man to explain. "Men do not care about the poor. They make a loaf of bread hardly affordable; they steal what little money we have in taxes; and as if that was not cruel enough, they try to take away our very livelihood."

"I don't understand, Father," Copper breathed quietly. "But please tell me we ain't doin' nothin' wrong!"

"Wrong? Oh goodness gracious, no!" the man replied. "There is no wrong in the profession of a shoreman! None at all. But to make life difficult for the poor, certain men made a law against it. And now we must be very careful not to be caught."

Copernicus wanted to ask more questions. He was beginning to feel very worried about this secretive job they were going to do. He didn't know what a shoreman did, but it didn't sound bad in the least. It wasn't as if they were going to be burglars or highwaymen. He could picture a shoreman rowing a boat down the Thames. But his family didn't head for the river. They ducked down a particular alley instead, and when they had reached the middle of it, everyone stopped.

"Ah! Here we are!" Mordechai whispered energetically. Before Copper could piece the puzzle together, things began to grow startlingly clear. His guardian had stopped before a circle of metal in the pavement which was intricately engraved. A few small holes let the boys peer down into the darkness of an underground tunnel. It was the busy thoroughfare which carried away what people didn't want; a place swarming with rodents, flooded with filth, reeking, dark, cold.

Copernicus and Porgy watched in silent horror as Mordechai stooped down and pried the metal cover away.

"There we are," he said, dusting his hands off. Then, warmly looking upon them all, he said, "Goodbye my children! Make your father proud! And remember, riches await us!"

One by one, the boys were patted on the heads or embraced by their guardian. Then they climbed down a ladder, disappearing into the ominous darkness. The picture was becoming horrendously clear to the two newest members. They were stunned as they watched.

"Careful, lads!" they heard Gibbs call, "It's deep!"

Mordechai turned toward Copper and Porgy. The boys' hearts sank with dread and disgust. "Your turn, my little friends," the man said, smiling. "Mind what Gibbs says. He is your master while I am working elsewhere."

Porgy started shaking his head adamantly. "I ain't goin' down there!" he said. "I don't want to! I won't!"

Mordechai gave him a look of hurt and grave disappointment. "You won't?" he repeated sadly.