Chapter 10

"Why child! Why are you crying? Are you hurt?" the man asked.

Copernicus's heart skipped a beat. That voice was familiar, but it wasn't his master's, and it wasn't Charlie's. There wasn't a hint of anger or chiding in it. It only sounded concerned.

"You are sure to catch a cold if you stay in the rain. Why don't you run home like the rest of us?" the man went on.

Startled and trying to wipe the tears from his eyes, the boy looked up. Through the mist of rain, he saw the kind man, like a pillar, towering over him. The gentleman was wearing a tall hat and a long, flowing coat which blew open in the wind, revealing the most elaborate patterned silk lining. As the child's vision cleared a little, he had no doubt that this was the magician who had helped him before. He saw the man's brow furrow in thoughtful recognition.

"I know you," he mused. "You are the boy whom I met days ago. The one who had lost his penny. But what has happened?" he asked pityingly. "Why do you sit here weeping? You are soaked through! Where are your parents?"

The look of lost, sorrowful grief in Copper's eyes could have melted any heart. "I don't got any parents!" he sobbed. "All I got is my master. And he's gonna beat me when I get home!"

"Beat you? My poor child! Whatever for? What brought this on? Come, tell me all about it."

With those pitying words, Mordechai coaxed the distraught child to rise from the cold ground, and he folded his jacket around him. The shelter and warmth of that momentary refuge was unbelievable. What comfort. What safety. It almost made the drowsy boy wish to fall asleep. In as few words as possible, he explained all of the woes of his life and day.

Mr. Dross listened quietly. When the boy had finished, a few seconds of silence followed as if the man was in deep thought about something.

"Poor, poor lad," he sighed at length, shaking his head mournfully. "What unthinkable cruelty you endure. Uncared for, unloved, misused, never appreciated. It should not be."

The gentle tone of sympathy made Copper pity himself even more than he had before. But it also soothed a deep ache in his heart. At least someone understood how he felt. At least someone cared about him. He clung tightly to this man who had instantly become his dearest friend. Then Mordechai stooped down and whispered in his ear.

"Why suffer any longer, my friend?"

The boy sniffled and made another attempt to stop crying. "What?" he asked in confusion.

The man gazed down at him with a fatherly look in his eyes. "You deserve so much better than this," he answered. "You deserve better than to live with a cruel master who doesn't understand you, doesn't love you, will never consider your needs. Poor Copernicus. You live like a slave when you should be free. A lad like you ought to have all your heart's desires."

Copper hid his face against the man's satin waistcoat and stifled another sob. "All I want is a family," he whimpered. He felt the man's arms pull him a little closer and hold him securely.

"Then let me grant your wish," Mr. Dross whispered. "Let me save you from this life of bondage."

Once again, Copper looked up and met the man's gaze. "How?" he asked, mystified.

Mordechai smiled at the wonder shining in the boy's eyes. "It requires no magic trick," he answered. "You are only a few steps from freedom. Come with me, and I will share with you all that I possess. You will be mine, just like a son. And I will be a father to you."