Chapter Seven: Part 2

Vote/Comment❤️

Meshach Adewale

Some time passed, and then Mrs. Adesenya finally arrived at the station. Meshach saw her entering the interrogation room. She grabbed one of the free chairs and sat next to the detective.

Mrs. Adesenya's eyes were fixed on him while Meshach tried to avoid her gaze. Silence filled the air, until the detective broke it by coughing lightly before speaking.

"Mrs. Adesenya, your nephew has his own version of events that's different from what you told me. At this point, I'm not sure who to believe. Both sides of the story are convincing. Tell me, do you have any proof to back up your claims?"

"Detective Harrison, do liars and deniers ever tell the truth?" asked Mrs. Adesenya. The detective remained silent, and his lack of response spoke volumes. Mrs. Adesenya continued, "Obviously, the answer is no. This boy you're seeing is nothing but a cunning wolf in sheep's clothing. He is capable of deceiving others. Don't you know con artists are good at acting? So, I'd advise you not to be swayed by the little emotions he showed you. It's all an act - a very good one, too, one that could even deceive a detective like you.

The detective shook his head. "I appreciate your concern, Mrs. Adesenya, but I don't think that's the case here," he said. "You see, I'm trained to spot when someone is lying, and I'm not getting that sense from Meshach. He seems genuinely sincere."
Mrs. Adesenya scoffed. "You're either naive or he's a better actor than I thought," she said. "You're clearly being played, Detective."

Detective Harrison considered Mrs. Adesenya's words carefully. Why she certainly had a motive to paint Meshach in a negative light, he couldn't help but wonder if she might be right. Had he been duped by a talented actor? He decided to press forward.

"Mrs. Adesenya, regardless of whether or not Meshach has deceived me, I still have a responsibility to consider all the evidence," he said. "And the evidence so far suggests that you have been mistreating him."
Mrs. Adesenya glared at the detective. "You're making a big mistake, Detective," she said angrily. "What evidence are you even talking about here?"

"Madam, please calm down," said the detective. "I have to ask you this question. Why else would a child run away from home if he isn't being mistreated?"

Mrs. Adesenya froze, at a loss for words. The question had left her stumped, but she knew she had to think of something quickly.

"This is getting complicated," she thought. "I need to use my head and come up with a good answer."

Mrs. Adesenya paused, thinking hard. Finally, she said, "Well, Meshach despises me for no reason. You know, there are some children who just want to run away from home even if their guardian is treating them well. It's not always the case that a child runs away because they're being mistreated."

"I get your point Mrs. Adesenya," the detective said. "Well, this is becoming tiring for me," the detective said, glancing at his watch. "I have an important case to work on in thirty minutes."
"Let's get this done once and for all," he said. "Mrs. Segun, Meshach will need to return home to his aunt, even though you're not a stranger to him. He was never under your custody. You'll have to understand this."
"I understand, Detective," Mrs. Segun replied, but her voice sounded weak and unsure. The detective looked relieved. "That's good to hear," he said.

"Mrs. Adesenya, if you have been mistreating Meshach, I want you to stop "But I can assure you, that's not the case," Mrs. Adesenya said, a bit more firmly. "I have always treated Meshach well. He's like a son to me. I would never mistreat him."

Meshach looked at his aunt. He knew she was lying, but he couldn't say anything. If he did, it would make his aunt look foolish in front of the detective. So he just acted like it didn't bother him.