Chapter Three

I woke up in the dark. I expected to wake up in the motor inn, where Duck would be outside playing and Lee would be talking to the rest of the group about what to do next. I expected all of this to just be a really bad dream that I could laugh about with Lee.

But I was in the underground shelter Calvin had built. I wasn't at the motor inn. It wasn't a dream. And I needed to decide if I wanted to stay with Apple or not.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I grabbed my hat and pulled it over my head, standing up to go above ground. Because the door was open I had light to walk around and didn't have to worry about bumping into anything--though I'm not sure what I would bump into, it was dirt walls with a few shelves. 

I reached the dirt wall that had the latter leading out of the underground shelter. I began to climb up and slowly lifted myself high enough to check if it was safe to come out. 

Calvin was sitting close to the door, staring off into space. He held his gun close to him, but his hands didn't seem to fit the gun well. He looked deep in thought.

I climbed up and out of the hole. Calvin smiled at me. "Good morning, Clementine."

He had a calm voice. I asked if I should close the door or leave it open and Calvin said that I should close it since no body was down there. I nodded and pushed it close. When I was done I rolled up the gray sleeves of the sweater and sat down next to Calvin and stared up at the sky.

"Do you know what you want to do?" Calvin asked. 

With how calm Calvin's voice sounded, the decision of if I was going to stick with Apple or not didn't seem as scary. But it was still pretty scary.

"I," I continued to look up at the sky as I paused. What was my decision? I didn't think about it much last night... and this was too big of a decision to make with no thought. I sighed.

"What will make the choice easier for you?" Calvin asked.

I looked over at him. He had chocolate colored eyes that calmed me even more. Everything about Calvin seemed to calm me down....

He reminded me a lot of Lee because of that. 

I sighed and looked back up. "My last group had been split up," I told Calvin. I knew I was lying, but in a way it was true. "And Lee told me I should look for Christa."

Calvin nodded. "I see. So... is that what you are going to do?"

I hesitated before saying, "I want to find Christa, but I think I might die on my own...."

Calvin set his gun next to him. "We can help you. Do you know where she may be?"

I shook my head sheepishly and Calvin seemed surprised.

"You guys didn't come up with a rendezvous point?" he asked. 

I blinked and gave Calvin a confused look. "A what?"

"A rendezvous point is somewhere a group would meet up if need be," Calvin explained to me.

"Oh..." I said, looking down at the grass as I admitted, "We didn't really get the chance to talk before we split up...."

It was quiet for a minute. "Okay. We will figure out a way to try and find your friend," Calvin told me. 

I smiled. "Thank you, Calvin."

He shrugged. "No problem!"

I rolled up my sleeves again and Calvin looked like he remembered something. 

"Oh, Alex told me that your other clothes were clean and waiting for you downstairs. Just keep the door open on your way down and you will be able to find them and change," Calvin said, gesturing to the underground shelter.